Where are the >

Where are the

Notices

Where are the

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like baja, i like checkmate.
cut and paist baja to checkmate is gay, just not a good thing.

use the molds, but change it up a bit.

Dock, there are allot of checkmate guys around, most are die hard checkmate. allot of smaller mates and lake mates that would have no interest in coming here.

jlroeder4 , i did the same thing, i like both boats, but felt the mate was more of a stand out different boat and i love it.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
Dock,
how can you say that taking a 10-15 year old baja mold is something new.
I NEVER said it was anything new. You are putting words in my mouth. I did say that they need to offer something new (meaning new to them) to bring in NEW buyers. New buyers mean $$$$$$ which will hopefully translate into NEW brand new molds for NEW Checkmate products in the future.

Yes the interiors did improve in the Checkmates after the Smith take over but the ZT 244 " H2X " looks 100% like it did when Baja built it. You can take anything and change the seats, gauges, and smack a stripe on it. So please tell me when you take a 342 Baja mold and update the seats and bolt on hardware how its going to look anything like a Checkmate.
Again who said it would? "NOT ME" I think they will make every effort to make a quality product that will look very nice. Would you rather not see anything new? I think they are probably doing what is best for them at this time.

How many Checkmates have you owned Dock ???
ZERO / NONE

To date I have not owned a single one but I do have a very good friend with a beautiful Checkmate. It is his second and he loves them just like you like them. I do really like the new center console and I look forward to buying one from Dean and Doug in the future and being a Checkmate owner. If or when they come up with a new 38 foot + Offshore I would certainly consider buying one also.

And for your information Checkmate always had in gel painted graphics that's nothing new.
I do know and understand that. It is a real art that only a few manufacturers do. I should have been more specific because I was refferring to the custom work that Dean with the help of Clayton at Kustom Kolors came up with. Never before have I seen or heard of anyone doing paint and shadows in the gel like they can. That is really trick and sets them apart from others.

I have nothing against you Dock but I never heard you say anything about any other Checkmates being built other than the ones that got built from the old baja molds that I heard got tossed in the trash.
Well I'm sorry that you have not noticed that I really like the Checkmate brand. I had the pleasure of riding with Dean and JR last year on what I believe to be an original design Checkmate and I even got to drive the boat. I liked it a LOT. It was very solid, handled well, the fit and finish were exceptional and it ran good. Just ask Dean about my personal comments regarding Checkmate if you have any doubts. I got to see a dozen Checkmates and gained a whole new respect for them. X-Driver has one of my favorite and I liked them all. One thing I could tell right away was that you guys are very brand loyal and you keep your boats looking like new and take a lot of pride in them.

Those that know me well know that I love all brands and types of boats. If it floats I can find something I like about it.

And if your looking for Checkmate members their are 6950 on the OFFICAL checkmate owners website www.checkmate-boats.com

That is nice to know. I'll check it out when I have a chance.

Purple,

For some reason you think I am anti-Checkmate or believe that I think they should become the new Baja. You are wrong on both counts. Baja is dead as far as I am concerned. Dean and Doug are nice people that I hold in high regard and I want to see them succeed. I have no input at all as to what they do or don't do. I can say that to me it is exciting to see them doing something positive in this poor economy to advance the company.

Thank you
Doc
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by noyzee
Dock, there are allot of checkmate guys around, most are die hard checkmate. allot of smaller mates and lake mates that would have no interest in coming here.
I understand

Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I NEVER said it was anything new. You are putting words in my mouth. I did say that they need to offer something new (meaning new to them) to bring in NEW buyers. New buyers mean $$$$$$ which will hopefully translate into NEW brand new molds for NEW Checkmate products in the future.

Again who said it would? "NOT ME" I think they will make every effort to make a quality product that will look very nice. Would you rather not see anything new? I think they are probably doing what is best for them at this time.

ZERO / NONE

To date I have not owned a single one but I do have a very good friend with a beautiful Checkmate. It is his second and he loves them just like you like them. I do really like the new center console and I look forward to buying one from Dean and Doug in the future and being a Checkmate owner. If or when they come up with a new 38 foot + Offshore I would certainly consider buying one also.

I do know and understand that. It is a real art that only a few manufacturers do. I should have been more specific because I was refferring to the custom work that Dean with the help of Clayton at Kustom Kolors came up with. Never before have I seen or heard of anyone doing paint and shadows in the gel like they can. That is really trick and sets them apart from others.

Well I'm sorry that you have not noticed that I really like the Checkmate brand. I had the pleasure of riding with Dean and JR last year on what I believe to be an original design Checkmate and I even got to drive the boat. I liked it a LOT. It was very solid, handled well, the fit and finish were exceptional and it ran good. Just ask Dean about my personal comments regarding Checkmate if you have any doubts. I got to see a dozen Checkmates and gained a whole new respect for them. X-Driver has one of my favorite and I liked them all. One thing I could tell right away was that you guys are very brand loyal and you keep your boats looking like new and take a lot of pride in them.

Those that know me well know that I love all brands and types of boats. If it floats I can find something I like about it.

That is nice to know. I'll check it out when I have a chance.

Purple,

For some reason you think I am anti-Checkmate or believe that I think they should become the new Baja. You are wrong on both counts. Baja is dead as far as I am concerned. Dean and Doug are nice people that I hold in high regard and I want to see them succeed. I have no input at all as to what they do or don't do. I can say that to me it is exciting to see them doing something positive in this poor economy to advance the company.

Thank you
Doc
well put dock, well put. and i followed your rebirth of your boat. Pretty sure if you didnt have 100% respect for checkmate, they would not have been your choice to redo your boat.
ps. i love your boat!!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Registered

Well Dock,
just show some respect to the loyal owners that own the original Combs style Checkmates, and just not the ones that popped out of the Baja molds. It just seems like you just came around and started bragging on Checkmate when Doug got his Baja molds.

And your words, you like the new center console Checkmate, why would I even doubt that being it came from a Baja mold too. I don't see you talking about the new 2400, 2400 BR and the wake tower Checkmate, maybe its because it came out of a Checkmate mold not a Baja mold.

If your really tring to help Checkmate maybe you should promote all the Checkmates they make instead of just the ones that came from Baja molds.

I could care less what kind of boat you choose to own but I own a Checkmate because that's the style I like.

And if the salvation of Checkmate relies solely on reproduced baja's then I could care less if Doug sinks again.

Last edited by PURPLE HORNET; 06-17-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noyzee
well put dock, well put. and i followed your rebirth of your boat. Pretty sure if you didnt have 100% respect for checkmate, they would not have been your choice to redo your boat.
ps. i love your boat!!!!!
I may be wrong and if I am Dock correct me. Checkmate did not restore Dock's boat XT did most of the work. It was next to Checkmate in the shop XT rents.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

Dock,

I'd be interested to hear why Baja is dead as far as you're concerned.

-Chris
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Checkmate-Chris
Dock,

I'd be interested to hear why Baja is dead as far as you're concerned.

-Chris

This might be the answer. The Fountain take over. Put the boats into a higher price point without to many
improvements. I think the Fountain take over rubbed alot of people the wrong way.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Registered

As far as Checkmate in concerned I have owned 2 mates, 97 242 Convincor and a 99 ZT 280. In my opinon, Checkmate builds nice fast solid hulls in the 30' and under class. Not many frills pretty much just biz, there main issue I saw as a previous owner is that the rigging left alot of the table that could have been improved! Checkmate will need to step up there game if they want to compete in the 30' plus class, there are alot of great establish boat builders who have this class cover very well with lots of options to choose from.

my humble .02
Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I may be wrong and if I am Dock correct me. Checkmate did not restore Dock's boat XT did most of the work. It was next to Checkmate in the shop XT rents.
Yes former employees of Baja now known as XT Innovation did the work. Dave, Adam, Doug, Greg and Lane. Checkmate just allowed them to use space in the back of the plant which kept the boat in doors and it worked out very well. With all the equipment they had there it made the job easy. I greatly appreciate Dean and Doug for all the hospitality they extended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.