controlling porpoising >

controlling porpoising

Notices

controlling porpoising

Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default controlling porpoising

Out this weekend and on Lake Ossipee and had some time to mess around with trim at speeds and tab position. I was noticing while cruising around 45ish I would get a lot of porpoise action ( up and down ). When this would happen I would try tabs and or trim but didnt really seem to fix the problem unless I'd hammer it and around 60 it would go away or if I backed off. Its a 216 convincor 454 B/1 23 p mirage. Didnt know if anyone could shed some light on it or give me a tip to try to right the issue. 45 is the speed I like to cruise at or around and it can get frustrating

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Registered

Is the porpoising from the tabs digging to deep or not enough ? The tough part is I dont have indicators so it is not easy to know where exactly I am at with them
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

The boat is pretty much stock never messed with the drive. What would cause the drive to be too deep??

Also what would be something to look for in a prop to possible alleviate some of this problem and maybe boost overall performance at the same time?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

my boat will do the same thing around the 35-40 mph mark if i trim the drive up to much. i tap the drive down a touch at a time till it goes away.
you go in the ocean at all, im up that way all the time with my boat. we go to winggi all the time. spent all weekend there.
not sure your location but if you wanted to meet up some time next week after work my boat will be out of the water and i can let you try out my labbed 4 blade 24p
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

oh yea, im right in peabody
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Convincer216,

I see you are on Ossipee as am I. I have an 87 25 GTX white with red white and blue style graphics. My boat acts the same way unless I drop the tabs way down. Speed when it occurs changes depending on load and fuel but usually around 35-40. It would be great to see another Checkmate out there sometime! I've only seen a few, you may have been one of the ones I saw last year. I'm usually at Long Sands or the sand bar stop by and say hello if you recognize the boat.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Hey Noyzee
I actually grew up in Peabody We have a couple mutual friends I think (The Perry Sisters) Scott and John

I go to the beach all the time not yet this summer though I used to have a P O S scarab last year and decided to buy a real boat this year

Id love to try that prop out if u wouldn't mind
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

Wpddep I unfortunatlly dont have a place up there my buddy does on Levitt bay

I get to go up there a few times a year and love it

Were you at the sand bar this weekend because I didnt see hardly any cool boats all weekend That lake seems like a pontoon boat heaven

I did see what I think was a mid 80's Exciter up there that was tan on rootbeer brown nice boat u familiar with that boat
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Convincor216
Is the porpoising from the tabs digging to deep or not enough ? The tough part is I dont have indicators so it is not easy to know where exactly I am at with them
The porpoising comes from the boat trying to get up and run on top of the water and then falls back off. At the speed you are running is the breaking point of when the boat gets on top of the water or comes back down. Checkmate has a good hull design and their boats have no problem getting on top of the water and running with minimum power. Unlike a lot of boats that tend to push the water Checkmates hulls like being on top.

This is good because a fast boat is on top of the water not pushing the water. The bad is you get porpoising at mid speeds most all Checkmate Deep Vs do this. Seat time and trim down is the only cure Stock bravo 1 4 blade props seem to work best I feel in controlling the problem.

And their is nothing wrong with the drive to deep

Last edited by PURPLE HORNET; 06-03-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
The porpoising comes from the boat trying to get up and run on top of the water and then falls back off. At the speed you are running is the breaking point of when the boat gets on top of the water or comes back down. Checkmate has a good hull design and their boats have no problem getting on top of the water and running with minimum power. Unlike a lot of boats that tend to push the water Checkmates hulls like being on top.

This is good because a fast boat is on top of the water not pushing the water. The bad is you get porpoising at mid speeds most all Checkmate Deep Vs do this. Seat time and trim down is the only cure Stock bravo 1 4 blade props seem to work best I feel in controlling the problem.

And their is nothing wrong with the drive to deep
Well put!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.