Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1989 Checkmate 251 Convincor

Smile Looking at 89 251 Convincor,Look for???

I am going to look at a 89 251 Checkmate Convincor on Tuesday. It is obviously snowing here and wont be able to test drive the boat. Is there anything that is a common problem with this boat that I should look for? I have been doing a little bit of research and havent found any specific issues yet but... I have built a couple boats so i have quite a bit of knowledge but would like you guys input.

Registered
    My Boats:
    My boat is Smaller and slower than yours
    Thats a good boat, their are no problem areas to look at unless it was not taken care of. Problems that were created by owner neglect. I would not buy anything I could not water test thats risky.

Platinum Member Platinum Member cigrocket's Avatar
    My Boats:
    TOP GUN - COBRA POWER
    I had a 1999 checkmate 251, and many of my friends have had them. Good running boat, however if were buying in todays market, I would want to run the boat. The least I would do if I were seriously going to purchase is run the boat on the muffs and do a compression test. If everything checks out then winterize it. Only takes a few minutes and at least you know there aren't any hidden problems. Just my 2 cents. Lots of deals around, but you don[t want to buy a headache or find out something bad come spring time.
    THE OFFSHORE LEGEND CONTINUES

Registered
    My Boats:
    checkmate 251 convincor,checkmate 253 convincor, 50 gibson
    floor rot, soft spots will show that...stringers, need to look closely at those...under engine especiallly..transome can be a issue as well...not as common as the floor stringers...have one for sale also...Rob

Orlandi Performance VIP Member brian41's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Baja 32 Caliber, 39 Ocean Express
    My first brand new boat was a 1989 251 with a 330/Bravo 1. I loved the boat but within 10 years the floor had issues on the starboard side so I replaced the entire floor better than new. The following spring the gas tank cracked.......new floor round 2.

Registered
    My Boats:
    checkmate convincor
    have the same boat .love it, rides great , look at the wood at the sundeck.