Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
Looking at 89 251 Convincor,Look for??? >

Looking at 89 251 Convincor,Look for???

Notices

Looking at 89 251 Convincor,Look for???

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking at 89 251 Convincor,Look for???

I am going to look at a 89 251 Checkmate Convincor on Tuesday. It is obviously snowing here and wont be able to test drive the boat. Is there anything that is a common problem with this boat that I should look for? I have been doing a little bit of research and havent found any specific issues yet but... I have built a couple boats so i have quite a bit of knowledge but would like you guys input.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Thats a good boat, their are no problem areas to look at unless it was not taken care of. Problems that were created by owner neglect. I would not buy anything I could not water test thats risky.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a 1999 checkmate 251, and many of my friends have had them. Good running boat, however if were buying in todays market, I would want to run the boat. The least I would do if I were seriously going to purchase is run the boat on the muffs and do a compression test. If everything checks out then winterize it. Only takes a few minutes and at least you know there aren't any hidden problems. Just my 2 cents. Lots of deals around, but you don[t want to buy a headache or find out something bad come spring time.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

floor rot, soft spots will show that...stringers, need to look closely at those...under engine especiallly..transome can be a issue as well...not as common as the floor stringers...have one for sale also...Rob
Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first brand new boat was a 1989 251 with a 330/Bravo 1. I loved the boat but within 10 years the floor had issues on the starboard side so I replaced the entire floor better than new. The following spring the gas tank cracked.......new floor round 2.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

have the same boat .love it, rides great , look at the wood at the sundeck.