Notices

Zt240

Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zt240

I'm looking at a used ZT240 - 2002 w/ a 350mag. Just wanted to get thoughts overall on this mdoel, performance w/ the 350, issues/ problem areas to look for, perf characteristics, etc.. Don't have much experience with Checkmate. One thing I really don't like is the carpeted cockpit but that's not a deal breaker.

Any/all input is appreciated.

thanks!
Luxy
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Go to

http://www.checkmate-boats.com/

There are a couple of members over there that own ZT 240's, 260's, and 280's.

They will have lots of advice for you.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

the 24 is a nice over all boat, surprised of the carpet on the inside, ive only seen them with snap in carpet like mine has. then carpet on the sides (side carpet is not snap in)

i like the 24 however there was a few things that made me go to the 26.

1- much more room in the cockpit

2- real drop down bolsters with real drive controls not the single plastic set up (not a big fan) the 24 seems a little shallow to me

3- was not a huge fan of the real deep style swim platform

4- i do 80% of my boating in the ocean so the 2 feet and extra weight and bigger fuel tank is a big plus

over all im very very happy with my 26, and a friend of mine has a 24 (lake boat) and he loves it.

no real issues i can tell you about, my 26 has been solid as a rock (knocking on wood) it rides great, has great over all looks and speed, handles good. id say for a 24 or 26 foot boat your not going to get anything a lot better. once you get to the 28+ id start looking at pantera or sutphen as well as checkmate and probably baja. but the checkmate is a great over all boat. ive been very happy with mine.

again the 24 is a nice boat but if your on a big lake or ocean id say go 26. my buddys 24 is great on a nice day but when it gets a little lumpy he has to slow way down when i can still hammer threw them.
hope this helps

notice i did not mention any problem areas. i didnt mention them because im pretty sure there are none. if the boat was cared for, it should be a great boat.
my buddys 24 is left in all summer at the lake and he did get some blisters on it but the lake he is on i dont think ive seen one boat thats left in all season without them. its a bad lake. ive seen checkmate, baja, formula and power quest up close and every one of them has them. so id say a good maintained mate will make a good boat.
(im on year 4 with mine and over 400 hours!!)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using it mostly in a large lake. The wave action can be pretty nasty. I was told by one 240 owner that they have a tendecy to porpoise.

What engine does your buddy have? I am a bit concerned about the 350Mag (200 hrs) being underpowered for water sports?

This 2002 had fully carpeted cockpit, deep purple no less. Not my favorite but I could live with it.

They are asking 21K, any thoughts on price??

thanks again, luxy
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
jln
Registered

i had a 2008 zt 240 with a 6.2 . i was a great boat used it mostly in the cheasapeake bay and delaware bay in 1 and 2 ft waves it rode nice and dry. it was a very nice boat . i now have a new zt 280 . im not sure where your located but here is a nice one . im sure the price is negotiable if its still avaliable. good luck in your search take you time and try and find a well kept fresh water boat. http://pbsyachtbrokers.com/pbs_inven...searchtype=buy
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

not sure of your location but i have a buddy selling his 24. its red with black ZT graphics.
it has like 50 hours on it, its a 2005 sitting on an ez load trailer.
it has a 6.2 320 hp small block in it. has a snap in carpet.
boat is real nice. he will let it go for $26,000 he is asking $28,000

boat is in cape cod.

as for a 24 with a big block i would stay away. the 6.2 is a nice motor and has good power and its light weight so boat handles better.

the 24 is a nice boat for sure, but if it was going to be me, id say to myself.

big waves, lots of people, id go 26 however to buy a super nice 26 your going to pay a lot more. mine is better then new with tons of upgrades and a brand new load rite all alum trailer i wouldnt let mine go for less then high 30's but its a better then new boat.
you could probably fine a decent 26 with a 496 in it for $26-$32k

the 26 over all is a better over all boat for a lot of people and big waves. that extra weight and extra 2 feet make a huge difference.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

mine is for sale, not pushing it at all. matter of fact im having a new bow cover made and a complete enclosed bimmini made for it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
jln
Registered

very nice looking ZT260
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered

thanks. i try to keep it nice.

i love the boat over all. handles great, fit and finish is great, lots of space in the cabin (for a 26) lots of cockpit space. good space under engine hatch.
very happy with the boat
Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

That's a terrific looking boat. I like that color scheme. I'd like to move up to a 26' but I really need to be in the 20's. Is your buddies 24' in salt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.