Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
gas gauge help >

gas gauge help

Notices

gas gauge help

Old 06-12-2002, 12:53 PM
mcorcora

Question gas gauge help

this weekend in A Bay my checkmate had 3/4 tank of gas all weekend. I see what I beleive to be the sensor in the middle rear of the tank. Anyone ever deal with this before? What will happen when I remove it? Or could it be the gauge? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i was you i would call checkmate directly. they seem to be more than helpfull in answering, helping out with any problems thier customers have. it doesnt seem to matter if you bought new or used.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Registered

Does it move when you turn off the ignition? If not it's most likely electrical. Check the connections at both ends. The sending unit is on top of the fuel tank and has wires attached which can get corroded. The float is a bit of a job depending on how far under the back seat it is. You may have to remove the board in front of the engine compartment. Most marine stores sell universal float switches. Good luck
Old 06-12-2002, 11:06 PM
mcorcora

When the ignition is off it comes back below empty. The float in the tank is in an annoying place right under the plywood cross brace that runs front to back in the middle of the back seat. Checked for corrosion and there is none. Almost sounds like a trip to Boat US is in my future. I will call Checkmate and get their spin on it first though.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Just some info...I just replaced my stock sender with one of those new Gaffrig electronic senders. It is much more accurate and the needle doesn't bounce around. Once it's hooked up you have to dial it in for exact readings so there's no guessing.

It's worth the extra few buck$!

My .02, Eric