Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
lost a lower unit this weekend...... >

lost a lower unit this weekend......

Notices

lost a lower unit this weekend......

Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default lost a lower unit this weekend......

well...

i think i lost it. lol

the clutch dog started slippin yeaterday afternoon in the counter unit. anyhting more than half throttle and it starts jumpig teeth. at least thats what it feels like. limpe din on one motor last night and didnt ru it anymore than that. havnt tore into it and dont really plan on it since i dont know anyhting about a sportmaster lower....

any suggestions/contact info on who to get to fix it or where to buy another? id like to repair this one or purchase a good used one and then repair this one as a spare.

also...any ideas on probable cause of failure?

thanks in advance!!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you pulled the plug to drain the fluid to see what comes out? I know left hand lowers make a ton of noise when the are functioning correctly..Sure you dont have a broke prop hub? What kinda props you running?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

hi!

i havnt drained it yet....am abou tto.....

i pulled the prop last night to inspec tthe hub.....it has mercury choppers with flo torque hub. it looked to be in good shape....i was really hopin that would be the problem. lol it still turns and shifts....and it iwll even push the boat up to abou thalf throttle....then it starts jumpin outa gear....

this is kinda odd since i just had both lowers serviced (new water pumps, gaskets, oil, plugs. etc...) use dit all last weekend withouta problem. had the local outboard guy service my lowers now this...makes me wonder....
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

drained gear oil. looks like new. no metal or water.

i just dont know if i trust the local guy to rebuild my lower...hes pretty knowledgeable and has been in business for 20 years at least....

do i need a comlete rebuild? the lower still shifts in...and the prop shaft turns smooth...what could be the diagnosis?

no matter the case..it will have to be tore down and inspected...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

I blew a lower on my outboard, and it still ran to wot..It was just missing like 6 teeth on the shaft. Sounds like you have a chunked lower..Ill tell you this, since you were a inboard guy for a long time and now switching to outboards, you cant shift outboards like bravo drives, they are way more delicate then i/o...on my outboard boats, I would cut the nuteral safety switch, and I would start the boat in gear so I wouldnt have to shift it if I didnt want too. Left hand lowers are even worse cause its not the natural rotaion of the motor..(I dont think)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered

Ohh..I have another question for you since your on cumberland..Have you or do you ever see a 21 foot black, red, and white Checkmate enchanter with a 200 black max on it. I sold it to a guy that owns a resort down there, I believe he also owns a 33+ ft chris craft stinger.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make Sure It Going Into Gear All The Way ,,Check The Throw
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

thanks for the input guys.

im really kinda in the dark here. having always done my own wrenching.....imnot used to being so ignorant about my own equipment.

i unhooked the cable coming from the shifter and shifted it manually while on the water...same result.

at this point i think ima have to have someone tear it down......any suggestions as to who or where i should send it to have repaired?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Make Sure It Going Into Gear All The Way ,,Check The Throw
My first thought also, we keep running into each other on this guys threads
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
thanks for the input guys.

im really kinda in the dark here. having always done my own wrenching.....imnot used to being so ignorant about my own equipment.

i unhooked the cable coming from the shifter and shifted it manually while on the water...same result.

at this point i think ima have to have someone tear it down......any suggestions as to who or where i should send it to have repaired?
Lots of good guys all over the country, not sure about where you are though. I can name a few in FL if you want to ship it. looks like you alredy made sure the shift cable was adjusted properly, and made sure it was fully engaging but it sounds like you did this at the shifter end, I would do it at the motor just to rule the cable out. I HAVE had this happen with a bad cable/adjustment. Like others have said, SOME outboard lower units(not sure about yours) can be weaker than Bravo's, and starting in gear is not necessarily a bad thing, just remember it is in gear, and be careful about bumping docks, been there, done that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.