Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
2010 300 Convincor 496HO 58mph help!! >

2010 300 Convincor 496HO 58mph help!!

Notices

2010 300 Convincor 496HO 58mph help!!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running 85mph all day long with 4 in the boat.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

this is very true. its funny as well.
my boat on its best day (perfect water, perfect temps, low fuel light supplies ect) ran 62or 63 on 99% of the days it runs 60 "thats it" but my speedo says 72-75 ive told people these speeds before and i get the same thing " thats it" however when i run with them and we are side by side after they tell me they run 75 mph they tell me i lied about my speeds. i say no, i didnt lie. we where going 60. "no, my speedo said 75"
lol
oh well. i also came to realize that my stock 496 mag pushes my boat to 60 and i enjoy it. so thats that.
500-1000 more pounds and only 50 more hp im thinking that 28 with 50 hp more is going to be right around the same numbers as my boat.
id be happy with 60-62 for sure
Originally Posted by 4bus
Way too slow as compared to what? In reality you are still faster than 98 percent of the boats on the water, if you count them all. This is the problem with boat speed, it seems everyone lies....even the manufactures. So you have your sights set on a number that is not a reality based on what someone trying to sell boats told you, or others telling you how fast their boats are.

Boats have 2 speed numbers, everyday speed, and perfect condition speed. Dock talk for an honest guy is sometimes difficult. Last year my boat would run 88 all day every day stock, many would ask and that was the number I gave them, only to hear "that's all"....."my friend has a Baja that does 96" blah blah blah.

Not to upset you more, but it will be SLOWER when we get in the heat of the summer and you get it loaded with your "stuff" It is what it is, a fairly roomy 28 ft boat with a straight bottom and nice lines. The average 25ft ish stock boat is going to run with you WOT, don't let them tell you any different.

Looking back this would have been a great question to ask BEFORE you bought the boat. The fact that you were fooled into thinking this boat would run 68 shows me you are not ready to have a whipple bolted to a 496 and deal with the problems that inexperience will cause there. Your money would be better spent swapping the engine for a 525efi.

BTW, 100 hp from a 496 to a 525 on paper yes, on the dyno NO. Not to mention one thing that is rarely talked about but is even more important.....torque. The 525efi or 500efi will be a reliable set up that you can hold WOT all day long with relatively no worries, that will not be the case with a blown 496
Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

UPDATE

Got the boat to 60mph with fuel and two people, still have RPMs left, this is with the Bravo 1 24 pitch. I think labbing this prop would net a few MPH. I'm happy with speed for a 30' boat.

Thanks for all the help!!

Also, this boat is for sale.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

60 is an amazing day with that engine package, I have ran 9 different power packages in this same hull and lots of seat time in this hull. Feel free to email or send a pm if you would like any advice.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered

try a 26 and see what happens, that size motor and boat seem to like that prop.