Anyone Know This Boat?  Just Bought It Black Convincor 283, Chicago >

Anyone Know This Boat? Just Bought It Black Convincor 283, Chicago

Notices

Anyone Know This Boat? Just Bought It Black Convincor 283, Chicago

Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Know This Boat? Just Bought It Black Convincor 283, Chicago

Just bought this boat sight unseen. Got a GREAT deal because an engine needs some love. Looks super clean in the pics, hope it is as clean as the pics when it shows up because I'm rather retentive about that stuff. It should be down to me in Charlotte within a few days.

http://www.teamshogren.com/inventory...onvincer-174/?

Seller does not know history on the boat or engines but stated the engines are 454 mags. My builder does not think so from the pics, nor do I. Worst case is that they are in fact 454mags with some nice dressup and supporting mods. My stance is why would someone go through the hassle of cloning a merc racing product? And if they did go through all of that why would they not have upgraded the internals to match the looks if disassembling anyways. Either way we should know soon. Either way, ordering prochargers as part of the rebuild. Anyone have an opinion on m1 vs m3 prochargers, procharger (the factory) just says "oh ya, get the M3 it's a better unit". Well that doesn't do it for me because while it may be a better unit if it's not going to yield me any benefit for the extra grand a piece why would I want it. I'm not going crazy with mods, I'm rebuilding whatever it is with some nice stuff but I'm not going wild. I'm going to use boost for all the power increase essentially. (crossing my fingers those engine's are hp450's or hp465's. If so I'll have a nice little sleeper pushing 650 or so a side, if they are 454 mags probably 550 a side)
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of looks like the old HP465 valve covers. but I think you are safe if you assume they are stock 454 Mags and go from there.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

I would not be dissapointed in the least if they were 454 mags. They have all of the core parts I need for the pro chargers to make some power
Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered

Almost baught that boat for my kid. Got out bid. On eBay. Then sucker didn't buy it. If the boat looks as good in person as it did on eBay. It's a good buy under 20 k I believe. What u give for it. If you don't want to say it's ok. They said I could have it for 18 k. It's going to need new motor. Maybe risers. Something bent a rod I'm guessing. Causing the knocking noise. Those motors are a dime a dozen. Congrats
Old 07-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
Almost baught that boat for my kid. Got out bid. On eBay. Then sucker didn't buy it. If the boat looks as good in person as it did on eBay. It's a good buy under 20 k I believe. What u give for it. If you don't want to say it's ok. They said I could have it for 18 k. It's going to need new motor. Maybe risers. Something bent a rod I'm guessing. Causing the knocking noise. Those motors are a dime a dozen. Congrats
That was me that outbid you then, you must have had a high bid of $18243 or something like that?

I got outbid too, they contacted me and asked if I wanted it and i said ya, but not for what the idiot who's supposed kid got his computer bid it up to. So I payed $18,300. It will be down to Charlotte on this wednesday. I'm sure hoping it's in good shape. I don't "need" another boat, as I have my formula, just wanted a hot rod.

I'm just worried about the other engine, my inclination is to rebuild it too, right away but if it tests ok with compression, leak down, etc, I think we will just let it ride.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How could you go wrong for $18,000. WOW that boat looks to be in great shape for it's age. I can't believe the shine on that black hull. It must have been stored inside most of it's life. Sell the lowers and install a couple of IMCO -2 shorties. Rebuild both engines and install the M-3's. Should be one very fun boat.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered

yup you got a deal .. if you don't like it contact me . we wanted that boat ,, hell of a pakage for the money .. congrats and good luck
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Registered

Well I'll keep this thread going. Unless there is something appalling I'm going to keep it at least until winter. I tend to move on quick but I'll see how I like it compared to the formula. Should know what's in those engines by the end of the week. Had another conversation with Scott at Shogren tonight. The boat had 540's in it. They swapped in those current power plants from an 88 cig. He simply said the only reason they did it is because they put them in a more valuable boat and it was a financial decision. In regards to the motors, the boat was sold and they were literally on the test drive when they heard the noise and shut it down. He said he is about 90% sure they are 454 mag, we will see soon enough. Also speculated the boat may not even have a hundred hours on her but said he stated higher just to be on the safe side, said its in that good of shape. The original owner had it up until three years or so ago.

Last edited by hotstang46; 07-11-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Registered

Saw the boat, great condition. Surpassed my expectations. Cabin is clean, windshield trim is clean, carpets in the cockpit, vinyl, everything is in great shape for a boat of this age. Boat was definitely painted from the bottom stripe down, you can see a little orange peel but it does not detract from the condition one bit (maybe got a little faded?).

Engines, not so much. One is not just making sound, sounds like it's falling apart. The other engine a noise as well (lifter, not sure?). Carbs are automotive and not marine, not the biggest deal but given the source that was selling they knew. Rubber lines where there should not have been (not regulation for sure), they knew. One drive is also not picking up any water. I realize I got a good deal but they should have at least said something, no way they didn't know.

When done, I can't imagine this not being one of the cleanest 90's convincors out there. Intake is aftermarket and a dual plane offering in aluminum. We will tear down a motor today most likely and see what is inside, we will see exactly what is in there.

The plan as it was............
-Prochargers M1 or M3, 12 rib 6 psi
-MSD ignition and distributor to replace the merc stuff
-tear down, see what's on it, and go from there

HOWEVER, engine bay is tight. Boat is simply to clean to cut the fiberglass and squeeze everything in. We were not sure the procharger would fit without modding the hatch and other areas.

I will do a clean sheet build.

Ordered 540 short blocks today (all forged of course)
AED 850 Carbs
Procomp PC3030 intake manifold http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=PC-3030

Goal is 650-700hp Should be a reliable, FUN, power plant with that.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Registered

Change of plans, the block I ordered that was supposed to be in stock, was not. I will be doing business with White Performance in TN. They will be supplying every aspect of the engine minus the AED carb. We will build it. It is their 700hp variant of the 540. I have a bone to pick with Shogren, I'm going to post about it when collect all of the info. Let's just say I cannot imagine they didn't know what they put in this boat and tried to sell. I know I got a good deal but they have should/ could have disclosed things in regards to the engines. Not good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.