Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-Planes ???

I hate the winter!! Platinum Member Vinny P's Avatar
    My Boats:
    99 checkmate 259

K-Planes ???

I have a '99 259 Convincor. I am thinking about adding a set of Kiekhaeffer 280-S K-Planes. Has anyone else done this on this hull? Do you think I would see enough of an improvement over the standard trim tabs to be worth the $2K investment? Would they improve the back of this boat? I guess that answer would depend on how much you like to run in the rough stuff.

I would recommend them. I put them on a 24 sport 240 and they made a world of difference leveling off the boat in the rough.

i think your a bit low on the 2000 investment. the parts alone will most likely cost between 2 and 3 k. Installation, if you dont do it your self will cost around a grand. So, more like 3500 before its all done.

if your gonna keep the boat for a while, go for it. but if your gonna sell it in a year or two, don t spend the money. you wont get your money back

My Boats:
    99 checkmate 259
    Thanks for the reply Bruce. B.A.M. quotted me $1875 for the kit plus whatever $$ additonal for a couple of hoses from the pumps to the K-Planes. I would do the install myself. My concern is mounting the indicators and controls. I don't want to have any extra holes in the dash.

Thats an excellent price considering they are listed with all misc. parts in Feb issue of Powerboat for 3,844.98. Maybe over inflated a bit. But 1,875 is dirt cheap. If you have Feb issue, pages 48-51 , its got the entire project article. Good luck, you will definately see a diiference, especially when the wind is hitting you from the side.

My Boats:
    99 checkmate 259
    Bruce,
    I saw that article in P.B. I assumed that price included installation. I hope Marc at B.A.M. didn't mis-quote me.

You might want to double check with him. Get a complete written quote before your surprised with a bigger bill than you expected.

My Boats:
    36 Outlaw
    I think Checkmate was putting them on the 25's from the factory in the past. It seems that I talked with someone who said that they were a option. You might call Mike at the factory and ask him about it. I would also look into getting the 380's. I know ours likes to jump around a lot, so I would imagine that it would definitely make a difference. If you do it, let us know what the results are.

I agree... better off gettin the 380s to start with. I had the 280s on my 28 Pantera and changed to the 380 plates. The plates alone, cost about 700. I think the 280s worked fine on my baja 24, but with the 28 footer and extension box, i felt i needed a bit more tab. I think youll be pleased with either.

My Boats:
    1997 Fountain, 27 Fever
    I have the big ones on my 27 Fountain and love them. Gets on plane quickly and adjusts ride attitude very easily. Also adds a little length to the running surface. I suggest mechanical indicators which help assure where they are set at all times.
    Good luck with the project.

Big E
    Hey Checkmate454 - Check out the article in February's Powerboat magazine, it has installation steps and an article on putting them on a smaller boat. Good information. Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast