Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
New checkmate >

New checkmate

Notices

New checkmate

Old 05-07-2003, 05:24 PM
check freak

Thumbs up New checkmate

The search is finally over!!!!!!!!! I am purchasing a 1997 Checkmate 242 Convincor saturday. The boat has lower hour and is powered by a 502 carb. I have everything lined up, and will have the boat home pending the sea trial. How does $24,500 sound as a purchase price. By the way this is my first checkmate and the first boat that I have owned by myself. I have been boating with my family and friends for 25 years, (my whole life). Any advise???

Old 05-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure you give the boat a real good look over. Make sure there are no cracks anywhere. Especially check the forward part of the bilge where the forward bulkhead is. I don't know if it is common or not, but I saw a 259 Convincor that was cracked there. Also, take a good look at where the motor mounts bolt up to the stringers.
How many hours are on the motor?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:17 PM
check freak

There is approximately 175 hours on the boat.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good. I don't think there will be any problems with the motor. But, a compression test can't hurt. Definetly pull the plugs. Especially if it has stock exhaust.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:02 PM
check freak

I was planning on taking my compression guage with me. My two buddies and I plan to look it over thoroughly. One of my buddies is a marine tech and a fellow performance boater.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:25 PM
checkmate981

Check freak,
Congrats on the new ride .Sounds like A great price .Dont buy untill you water test it.
Dave

Old 05-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome to take my radar gun with you to verify the claimed performance. Can't wait to see it and go for a ride. Maybe I will be the next one getting a new ride!!
Congrats!!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:37 PM
blowncheck

I am glad for you little hoggie. Its going to be a great summer all of us out on the lake we will have some good times. Hopefully no bad ones. Later your freind Blown Check!!!!