Notices

Help

Old 08-22-2003, 05:23 PM
check freak

Default Help

I have a 97 242 Convincer. My problem is the boat always lists to the port side. It does this all the time when there are two people in the boat. It does not matter the weight of the passenger. I have nothing on that that side of the boat that would add extra weight. When I trim the drive up it helps the problem, but it is not a complete fix. My drive is a little lose, I need a new gimbal ring, which a winter project. The lose drive is the only thing that I can come up with that would cause the problem. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

does it list to that side when just sitting?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for trapped water in the bilge. That in combination with a sloppy steering arm caused listing issues with my Convincor.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Registered

I had a 95' 219 Persuader with a big block that did the same thing. Used to drive me nuts. I was always told it was the big motor little boat syndrom. It used to level out nice if you ran it hard, but cruise speed it laid down to the port side. I was going to install trim tabs to help it out but we ended up selling it and getting something bigger with tabs. Put tabs on it if you don't already have them.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

my 253 does the same thing. i always run the one tab down 6 degrees to correct the problem while cruising.

the problem is caused by prop torque. with a single motor the right handed prop will cause the boat to list left. the more blades on your prop the worse the list.

try a 3 blade and it will not be as bad.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:28 PM
check freak

Thanks for the replies.

The boat does not list at idle speeds. As far as I can tell their is no water trapped in the bilge.

As for the 3 blade vs. the 4 blade theory, my boat seems to list the same with a 3 and/ or a 4 bladed prop. In my opinion, the 4 blade prop handles much better. I wouldn't switch back to a 3 blade on a bet. I am very annoyed by this problem, plus when it lands on the port side it knocks my significant other around. Not good!!!!!!!!! And we all know when the boss is not happy we are not happy. I think that this is the type of problem that would be associated with a bayliner or some other POS boat. I really love my boat, this issue just really bugs me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Old 08-25-2003, 12:35 AM
FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING 33
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy my 89 Maxxum had the same problem. always
had to use the tabs to level the boat out. I think it's
the way the boats are balanced. A little weight on
one side makes a big difference. My buddies 29 Outlaw
does the same thing.he runs with one tab down.
Hows the weather been?Did you put some hours on your new ride? It's been raining around here alot.
Enjoy the rest of your summer. Robin
Old 08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
check freak

The weather has been on and off. I boat mostly on Lake Michigan, weather permiting, but I also have access to a few inland lakes in Northern Indiana and Michigan. Believe it or not I have put 80 hrs on the boat this summer. By the way my buddy has an 89 enforcer with a 750 horse blower motor. His boat has no such problem. The same goes for my buddies with a 226 and 210 bajahahahahahaha don't have these problem either. The 210 is Wette Vette and everyone knows he's packing the ponies. Just my .02.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:29 AM
FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING 33
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy sounds like you had a great summer 80 hrs.
Most of the people around here have the same problem
their boats will list to port or starboard. Steve'o has the
right ideal, trim tabs will correct your problem.My 229 had tabs and ran level even when things got rough.
I do agree that the four blade handles way better then
the three bladed props.Have you contacted the factory?
Maybe they know something.Checkmate builds a great boat, way better then boohoo that other brand of boat
thats built in Ohio.My buddies 29 outlaw cost four grand to fix last year.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Liquidator

Hello Check freak,

I have 251 Convincor 1997 with a 500 EFI and I have the same problem. However, I solved the problem simply by double the size of my original trim tapes. The boat is much more stable. If you like, I can send you a pictures of my trim tapes via email. Just let me know your address.

Greetings from Germany

Liquidator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.