Notices

Props

Old 12-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a mirage plus labbed to 24 by merc. I'm pushing 800+HP. But that was last year, This year we are building for close to 1000HP and 100+mph. Once I get the specifics of I plan to build together I will post it for some technical help.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dmann did you have a problem with your right tab and you had to take it to Franks. I was working on my boat at Franks, somebody showed with a boat that has your same color graphics and I helped Frank fix the right cylinder. I do very little boating on berlin. I keep mine rack stored in the flats. Berlin is about a hour and fifteen minutes from my house so it is not convenient. OK i'll convess if you're famaliar with franks I'm the one that went through four motors in one year. Don't ask, three were blower motors. And yes with a lot of work you can fit a blower under the hatch of a 259. You might be right on the chine walking caused by the hydrolic assist insted of the full hydrolic. How did you fit it under the dash. I think the first boat Checkmate ever put full hydrolic steering in was Franks 253 and frank had to do some of the work on it at the factory. They cut a lot out of the way but when the boat is in two halves it's pretty easy compared to already completed.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

Default ted

yes, I did have a problem with the right tab. It was from the improper install. If you notice they also put the tabs on the wrong side, L to R. He called me after he drilled the transom and said he could not fit the second ram on the right side. I remember talking to you now. I think you bought the green & yellow new 259 he had there. I think that was the last Checkmate he sold from his marina.

If you every get out this way look me up. Where do you boat at?
Old 12-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered

Thats my boat. dmann You're from North Canton, where the hell is that?. Sounds like a third world country. I worked in North Canton (green township) for a few years. Met my wife there. Lived in malvern, on lake mohawk. Now I 'm in Cleveland and keep the boat racked stored in the flats. Thread sealant was put on the wrong end of your tab cylinder hydrolic line. A small piece wedged in the cylinder and that tab was really slow. Good memerory huh? . Let me know if you you do any boating on Lake Erie and we'll get together this spring. My boat is now parked at franks shop. Later in January were going to do a couple more changes to it.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Registered

Ted,

You will be amazed at difference between hydr assist and full. When I first started to do motor upgrades on my 242 I only had hydr assist. The first motor was a 454 with a 177 blower, cam and head work. The motor dyno'd right at 600hp. At that time the best I could do was 78.9mph on the GPS. The boat wanted to chine walk and b/c you normally have at east a 1/2" to a full 1" play in the steering cable the problem never got any better. When I went to my 540ci, I also went to full hydl steering. With new motor and steering the boat was more stable at 90 and 100+mph, than previously at 78mph. Again I also found that a little less dia prop makes a big difference. As I stated in previous postings, with less dia the boat handled better and got me more rpm's, thus more speed (ultimately 110mph!). Good luck.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

Checkmate110 I'm very interested in the 15x29 prop. Will it fit the larger output shaft of the xz drive? I had a 242 with with a 454 and a procharger, never had a chine walking problem but the boat loved to get airborne. Get back to me on that prop
Old 12-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Registered

Default ted

I do get to the Flats a few times a year. What are the changes you are going to do?