Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    NOTHING......:)

Convinsor 283 questions

Anyone with a 98-99 Convinsor 283 that provide some input on props and ride quality?

A friend bought one from Pier 57 and they are trying to get the boat to settle down. In rough water the boat rides terrible with a 4 blade prop, the bottom slaps the water all the time. If he uses a three blade Mirage plus it rides a little better but blows the prop out of the water in rough water. When this happens they have to come to a complete stop to get started again and the ride is still not that great for a boat this size. If he uses the tabs at all it blows the prop out even worse, if he trims the drive it does the same thing.

Single HP500 carb motor
    1.5 bravo drive
    Very small trim tabs
    Cudy has the following options Fridge sink holding tank, tank was empty. Only providing this information because of the weight.

Anyone else run into anything like this with this model boat?
    Brian

Re: Convinsor 283 questions

I have a 1998 283 Convincor with twin 454's (310hp) deluxe cabin....fridge, sink, long tabs. I was running 23p Mirage plus's and could not keep the front of the boat down in rough water. Always had the tabs down and still bouncing up and down. My boat is very tail heavy with the twins. I bought some Hydromotive QIV's (22p) this year and tried them Friday. I am very pleased with the results so far. I did not go far (had to tow a buddy in) but the boat came up on plane fine, picked up about 2 mph at 3,000rpm and the boat ran nice and flat with no tab in some pretty rough water. I am thrilled so far.
    Your buddies boat sounds like the x-dimension is to high if he is blowing out all the time.
    Talk to Kipp at the factory. He had a 283 with a procharged single. He could help you out.

Charter Member #355 Charter Member CheckmateF1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ???

Re: Convinsor 283 questions

I would definatly try a Hydromotive Q-IV prop. In my opinion Checkmate hulls really like the stern lift of the "cleaver" style blades.

My .02
    Eric
    Boatless in Texas......for now