Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
Checkmate Styling:  Old School or Outdated? >

Checkmate Styling: Old School or Outdated?

Notices

Checkmate Styling: Old School or Outdated?

Old 01-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkmate Styling: Old School or Outdated?

Just curious to hear opinions, acquire history and attempting to start a new thread. The lines of modern Checkmates appear to be unique or some may say unchanged for some time. How old are most of the current hull molds? It seems that Checkmate, for the most part has stayed away from stepped hull designs, why? What is Checkmate's history or relationship with Baja? Our first boat was and still is a Checkmate and we could not be happier as owners.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Checkmate Styling: Old School or Outdated?

Rjbbc, Baja Started Out By Purchasing Some Of Checkmates Older Hull Molds. As Far As Steps Are Concernced, Checkmate Has Used Small Steps In Their Small Boats Years Before They Caught On To Offshore Boats. The 21' Starflites Are A Good Example. Every Manufacturer Tries To Stay With An Image That Makes Them Stand Out, Ex: Fountain Beak, Active Thunders Topdeck, Apache's Race Fairing. From A Distance You Can Usually Tell What Kind Of Boat You're Looking At. Checkmate Has Always Had That Sloping Down Bow Look And Always Did Great Mold Detail Work. Their Image On The Offshore Boats Has Looked The Same For Years, However, You Need To Check Out Checkmate-boats.com For New Info. Checkmate Has Just Finished A New 24' Pulsare That Looks Like It Is Going 90mph Sitting Still; Sleek, Low Profile, Long Top Deck, Short Cockpit, Muscle Boat Look.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I own a 2000 checkmate convincor, I love the boat and would not want stepps in the hull. The deep v dsign is awesome in the rough stuff, in fact the boat needs a little chop to ride faster and smoother. With the stock HP500 and a X drive with sportmaster gearcase, I run in the upper 70's and top out at 78. Thats a pretty efficient hull desin for a 27' boat. I think checkmates hand laid hulls and glass work are superior to sprayed in chopped fiberglass work. Just my 2 cents. As for the design, I think they are trademark checkmate design and if the lines look great why re-work something that is popular and great looking. Sometimes manufacturers change lines and hull shapes and this leads to there demise. Checkmates have been building boats of great quality for over 40 years.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't agree with you more. For a company that does almost no advertising to be able to produce the number of boats they build in so many different sizes is a strong statement and testament to their quality. While other manufactures focus on the upper spectrum of buyers (Outer Limits, Nor-Tech, MTI, Skater, Cigarette, etc.) Checkmate always builds boats that are accessable to the average hi-performance boater and yet their quality is right up there!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered

The 28 ZT has a stepped hull. Couple friends have the 28 and i've driven them both. The ride didn't compare to my 253 Convincor. This could be why they don't produce more step hull models.

The Gel work on the Checkmates is one of the best i've ever seen. I always received compliments on the Gel with my Check. Great Lines too. I dont think they look outdated in any way. Here's a shot of my old 253.....
Attached Thumbnails Checkmate Styling:  Old School or Outdated?-check-d-b.jpg  
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

high perf is that a 97 model nice looking dont know how to post pics on here or would put mine up dont see that purple a lot and I love it in mine interior looks a lot the same
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mboger
high perf is that a 97 model nice looking dont know how to post pics on here or would put mine up dont see that purple a lot and I love it in mine interior looks a lot the same
Yes, it was a '97. Colors in the Gel were awsome.

To post a pic, Click on the "Manage Attachments" below. it will bring up a window that lets you browse to where the picture is located on your PC. Find the picture, click on it, then click open. This will take you back to the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS Page. Click Upload in this Window. When it's finished, Click Close This Window. Now the picture is attached and you can type a message in the normal message box ( it will not let you post a picture with a blank message box ).

To give you these instructions, i had to walk through it myself.....so here is the pic that i attached.....motor that was in the Check.
Attached Thumbnails Checkmate Styling:  Old School or Outdated?-motor.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Has Checkmate ever offered a transom-molded swim platform? I always thought the plastic platforms looked cheesey. Also, like all boats, a tublar platform looks nice.

I also wish they would come out with some flashy graphics.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Has Checkmate ever offered a transom-molded swim platform? I always thought the plastic platforms looked cheesey. Also, like all boats, a tublar platform looks nice.

I also wish they would come out with some flashy graphics.
Platform is Fiberglass not Plastic.

The ZT Model's have a molded platform.

here is a 280
Attached Thumbnails Checkmate Styling:  Old School or Outdated?-check280zt.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hi-perf-2000
Platform is Fiberglass not Plastic.
Yea..... I knew that

Quick Reply: Checkmate Styling: Old School or Outdated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.