Swapping Drives to Improve Porpoise

Notices

Swapping Drives to Improve Porpoise

Old 06-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Swapping Drives to Improve Porpoise

Originally Posted by glassdave
magnum, i was wondering the weight of these things as well. i thought i heard #6500 but that seems kinda high, course this thing is a tank though

what are you building for motors? any pics?
I heard 6000 plus, too.

That would explain my WOT speed.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

cool . . .grab me a tote bag

I don't have a tote bag, but I have a tote board.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

jeezsus . . .i took my boat down to the local river front friday night with a full fuel load and 6 people on board and my tabs decided to stop working. water was fairly smooth and my frikn boat just porpoised like crazy, worse than ever with that load.. anybody got a spare pump for a bennett system? would swiching to a 280 K plane help?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered

I have some pics of my boat when I bought it,I need to scan them then figure out how to post them.The engines I built are 355's with hydraulic roller cams,sr torquer heads,performer rpm intakes with quadrajet carbs.Motors are in the boat,one's running the other should be soon,just to many other projects that are more important.I ran a desktop dyno program on them and it came up with 375hp but I think 350 is more realistic since I have stock exhaust manifolds.As for the 280 k-planes are concerned I can't answer but I'm planning on using them.Ihave a set that needs alot of work,no rams or thru hull fittings just the plates if you're interested.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Registered

jeezsus . . .i took my boat down to the local river front friday night with a full fuel load and 6 people on board and my tabs decided to stop working. water was fairly smooth and my frikn boat just porpoised like crazy, worse than ever with that load.. anybody got a spare pump for a bennett system? would swiching to a 280 K plane help?
It probably always porpoised like that.... except that you have never seen smooth water before.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered

I think I read in a brochure for the '87 that the basic hull is somewhere around 3800lbs. Using that for the basis, 900 lbs apiece for each engine/drive package, and 750 lbs for the 126 gallons on gas, and I drop into the water at about 6100 lbs, which sounds like what y'all are saying.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Registered

Mine just became a huge freaking project so I am considering Volvo drives.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Registered

Magnum,

You should be lookin' at almost 80mph with 375 h/p ea eh......Those sound like great engines....do you have pics? Also who's thru transom exh. are you using?

D-
Old 06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Boosted,the exhaust has been the biggest pain of this project so far.Originally the boat had thru the drive stock exhaust.I bought some corsa transom mount mufflers and wanted to install them below the swim platform,after measuring everything out I started drilling the 4" holes in the transom when I discoverd on the last hole that the steering ram inside the boat was in the way.Now I have 6" risers added between the manifold and elbows wich puts the outlets in the swim platform.Had to cut 8" holes in the transom and 4" holes in the platform.Right now I'm making some trim rings to clean up the install then I just have to wire and plumb the port motor then hopefully we'll get it wet.If it does'nt rain this weekend Ill try to get some pics,have another project that's more important right now though.80 would be sweet but I think I'll be closer to GlassDave's speeds.

Thanks for the interest,Magnum
Old 06-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

magnum i had the same problem. i started with the one at the steering ram and mounted it as low as i could had to do all my drilling from the inside and careful measurments. i used straight cut tips and salsbury external flappers. the top of exhaust tips are just barely above the line of the platform deck but there is enough room so that ist not a problem with the exhaust flow. with everything exiting under the platform this thing sounds like it has 1000 Sterlings in it (Fund can back me up on that ) has a VERY deep rumble. sounds great and i also have silent choice on it for those late nites get'n back to the boat club

with a pair of 375's an the right props you should see mid 60's pretty easy.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: Swapping Drives to Improve Porpoise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.