Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
84 stinger 260 swim platform >

84 stinger 260 swim platform

Notices

84 stinger 260 swim platform

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you put in there besides ply then? I know that the general argument is that the ply lasted this long, etc., but I figure if I'm going to go through the effort of fixing it, a couple hundred bucks extra for composite is cheap insurance against a repeat offense later. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

there is nothing wrong with plywood. the reason transoms go bad is usually improper care, poor laminaiton techniques from the builder, old boat with water sitting in it for years or some contributing factor leading to water getting access to the wood. if you re do the transom with wood and you want to stack the deck in your favor use either vinylester or epoxy resin also make sure your preperation and lamination technique is perfect and seal all thru holes (this is the MOST important) i have been in the biz for years and while i am a BIG advocet in the use of Coosa i do not use it for transoms. its a great product and i have used it many times, just dont care for it as a transom. oh by the way Coosa can soak up water the same way wood does through poorly treated thru holes. just my .02$

one other thing if you do use Coosa anyway you still need to do the lamination with stacked sheets of 3/4". you cant get away with the inch an a half stuff

i may actually know the original owner of the Blue Stinger you got from this area.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 03-18-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

The original owner, or the guy I got it from?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

the original owner i believe. Tim Whitney was his name, he had a blue one exactly like that one. not to many of that colored ones around here.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

The one I have has right at 500 hrs on it, and the registration on it was expired 5 years. It was painted dark blue over top of the light blue metallic at some point. I think the interior is still the original stuff. It appears that it had the FG swim platform when new, and those holes were filled when it was painted and a teak platform installed. The wife likes the FG one better so I'm trying to pick one up without having a fortune in it. Blew most of the "BIB" (boat improvement budget) on a new CR drive and repairs/upgrades to the old terd trailer I've got under it right now. BUT-blew out the drive couplers last summer due to dry-rotting. It's just as well really, I found de-lam in the transom and the motors had to come out anyway. Was planning on interior and paint this spring, but now I've got the transom to deal with first, and then the cabin floor that was shored up with a piece of heavy plywood so it wouldn't appear soft. The guy I got the boat from on ebay was a scammer big-time. He very obviously dealt boats all the time, he had several he was moving when I bought mine. He advertised it as having a good CR drive on it, and solid hull with "0" issues. Unfortunately, I was working out of state at the time, flew home, picked the boat up and went back on a plane the next day for better than a month. By the time I checked out the boat and reported it to ebay, there was nothing they would do since too much time elapsed. Live and learn I guess. At any rate, the motors ran better every time I had it out, and the boat is a blast to drive. I eventually got everything electrical working right (all the lights worked right off the bat) except for the trim gages, but that's typical. I may switch to mechanical anyway. Hope I can get it together quick enough to run it this summer. Paint and interior will have to wait!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

well . . . my boat was in similar shape when i got it except for the bad wood. i spent two season going throuh it constantly improving it while i was using it. saved the big stuff like interior and oaint for winter projects. before long i had a great boat. i tell ya it is one of the best boats you will ever own i cant say enough about mine.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
the original owner i believe. Tim Whitney was his name, he had a blue one exactly like that one. not to many of that colored ones around here.
Glassdave, If you happen to run into him, ask him if he'll drop me an email. If he is the original owner or a past owner it would be cool to get some history on it. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

will do, havent seen him in a while but he works down the street from my. gives me a reason to get ahold of him.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered

Hey Jeff,

Haven't heard anything else from you regarding the platform. I was thinking, my Stinger is likely to be down a large part of the summer with transom repair (I'm being optimistic), so it's not like I need to get it next week or anything like that. What if you were headed toward northern Ohio or Chicago or something and you brought it with you? I could meet you somewhere and slip you some cash to pay you for your troubles? I don't know how practical an idea it is, but it might work. Or maybe some other benevolent OSO'er has an idea similar that would work? Thanks, Bill
Old 04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

sorry man! I forgot about it... But your idea about having someone bringing it along with him on his way could be nice...

Let me check it out. I know I have someone delivering a 33 outlaw for me in florida this week. You know someone close to this travelling route?

Quick Reply: 84 stinger 260 swim platform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.