Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
Mercruiser Outdrives (Sterndrive Engineering) >

Mercruiser Outdrives (Sterndrive Engineering)

Notices

Mercruiser Outdrives (Sterndrive Engineering)

Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser Outdrives (Sterndrive Engineering)

Does anyone run any of the aftermarket SternDrive Engineering drives on their boat? I belive the Alpha's are a SE106. I have been working on my 260 Stinger most of the winter and Im ready to start working on the upper drives. The new replacement upper drives are only $595.00 each. One of mine had a bad seal and one shows a good amount of wear on the bearings and gears. By the time you buy all the parts and the special tools to do the job, a new replacement drive can be bought and its new. Im just looking to see If anyone had run and of these drives and have any comments on them. Dan
Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 AM
psmith
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mercruiser Outdrives (Sterndrive Engineering)

[B][I]I run two of Sterndrive Engineering units, on my 1985 , 26 Stinger, no problems with them.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CR one I bought last year to get in the water with. Overall the thing looked really good fit and finish-wise. I've been in both low and high volume machining for 25 yrs and was impressed with the quality from a visual standpoint, and they stand behind their drives with a good guarantee, which tells me they're confident in their product. I've got about 50hrs on mine problem free and like it enough that I intend on selling off a spare RH drive I have from a different boat that needs resealed and buying a RH SEI to go on my Stinger and keep the RH Merc one on there now in the garage for a spare. I have stock 260's in mine, so I don't know how they would do with more HP though. I've heard some guys saying they've had problems with theirs, but usually only if they replaced half. I bought the whole drive for mine due to a Merc mechanic who told me he wouldn't do only half on any of the OEM ones he repairs (or rebuild the blown half of mine) without a complete disass'y of the other half for cleaning and re-seal. He said replacing/repairing only half without the extra work always ends up with one or both pieces failing again prematurely from contamination left over from the first failure. I bought a whole new CR drive with an anode kit and gaskets for half what the rebuild was going to cost me, and it came with a guarantee I couldn't get from him or Merc. My .02 worth.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

I have an SE106 behind the 383 in my heavy 4 Winns... the drive has been absolutely trouble free and I have been very hard on it!

I plan on putting one behind the 383 going in my Stinger.