Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1984 Chris Craft 230 Scorpion Stinger

Trim gauge broken

I need a wiring diagram for a merc trim sender.Any one have that? I bought a new gauge set but the trim gauge does not work and I thing it just needs some wire help thanks !

Gold Member Gold Member Full Force's Avatar
    My Boats:
    85 Cigarette Mistress
    I am looking for the same thing!
    85 Cigarette Mistress
    86 Baja 320 Force R.I.P.

Registered
    My Boats:
    '83 Stinger260
    Check your wiring where it runs from the sender in through the transom. If that appears good with no breaks in it, then check the wires from the transom ass'y all the way to the back of the seat area as far as you can. Usually these wires get brittle and corrode or completely break off and that kills the signal. If your wires appear good, pull the gage out of the dash and hook up the sender with a short run of wire directly to the gage and rotate the sender to make sure everything works properly with good wires. If everything works right, go back and check your wiring again, because you probably missed some bad spots somewhere. Believe me, sometimes you can inspect the wires several times and still miss a break in the insulation or wires! 99% of the time there are multiple breaks in the wiring from the sender, and most of the time there are breaks in the gage indicator sender and the trim limit switch both! A "quick" repair to get you back in the water is to use a bit of good quality extension cord to jumper from the senders on the gimbal to wherever your good wiring starts. Just be sure to zip-tie the wires up and out of the way so they don't get caught in the prop or pinched off when you turn, and to solder and shrink wrap where you connect in to the good wiring inside the engine bay for safety's sake. We also tied off to the bottom of the swim platform keeping close to the transom until you can get to a good place to get into the engine bay. It will get you back on the water in a pinch until you can get those wires replaced correctly. Remember, that's only a TEMPORARY fix! Be prepared for a PITA job when you do the replacement job on the wires for real, but it's oh-so-nice when everything's back to working the way it should. If this doesn't help you out, email me bsaurber2@gmail.com and I'll see if I can get you more info. Bill