Drive problem >

Drive problem

Notices

Drive problem

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive problem

Hello. I am a new owner of a Stinger 260 with twin Mercurisers and alpha ones.
Last weekend I was out boating on the lake and I shut down for a while. When I started up I could not get the port enging to go into gear? The cable was giving me problems before but it always went into gear...eventually!

Is the drive engaged by a soleniod system or linkage? I looked at the cable setup and see a small device with wires on it next to the cable setup. I am not quite sure how this works?
I am rather new to Alphas as I used to have an OMC on my Scorpion 210 so I am not very familiar with Alphas as of yet.
Any assistance would be appreciated...Thanks...Tom in Niagara.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Registered

Tom, the drive shifts with cables. It sounds like you have a faulty shift cable. It runs from the engine down through the gimbal housing. The wiring you are refering to is most likely for the trim limit sending units. If you are not mechanically inclined, I woul reccomend having a mercruiser tech take a look at it. Shift cables are not the easiest thing to replace If you have never done one before. Dan
Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Registered

Thanks Dan. I took a quick look at it on Sunday just before I came home and had a friend shift it back and forth. The cables seem to be moving ok however I could be mistaken???
They left and right engines both SEEM to be doing the same thing? The little rocker gizmo on the side of the manifold mount seems to also be working. but you cannot hear it going into gear for some reason or other? The engine does throttle up so I know that part of the cable is working ok.
I should have some more time this coming weekend to tinker. thanks for the advice.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HuronRiverRat
Tom, the drive shifts with cables. It sounds like you have a faulty shift cable. It runs from the engine down through the gimbal housing. The wiring you are refering to is most likely for the trim limit sending units. If you are not mechanically inclined, I woul reccomend having a mercruiser tech take a look at it. Shift cables are not the easiest thing to replace If you have never done one before. Dan
HI Dan...It was the lower shift cable (the single one) Fixed it no problems as I replaced it with a new one and bingo...it shifts again. Being stuck five miles from home with only one engine to nurse it back really sucks! Couldn't even get the thing to plane on one engine!
Anyway I'm back up and running with my new props too! I bought a pair of 23's and they work GREAT!!!

I saw on an the Offshore pages there is a big dew happening the 7th and 8ty of July at Turkey Point called "Pottahawk" Hope to see some of you there...out of the hundreds of boats that do show up?

http://www.greatlakesoffshore.com/gr...read.php?t=739
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Registered

WHERE IN NIAGARA TOM U.S. OR CANADA
IM ON THE C SIDE
[email protected]