Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
Need to get the bow riding higher on the 312 stinger. Suggestions? >

Need to get the bow riding higher on the 312 stinger. Suggestions?

Notices

Need to get the bow riding higher on the 312 stinger. Suggestions?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to get the bow riding higher on the 312 stinger. Suggestions?

Man this boat rides flat on the water at speed. I have tried to raise the bow with the drives, but as soon as I get the drives raised a little bit, the props cavitate.

What would you gents suggest to try to correct this problem?

As it rides now, the boat is still getting 60+ mph, but it feels very skittish....I need to get that bow out of the water.

Props are Bravo 24's turning outboard. The drives look to be adjusted so that the props are closer together than the nose of the lower units. Presumably this is toe out?

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If nothing you try makes a difference put a long straight edge on bottom and check for hook.
Jim
Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered

Make sure the water tank is full. I have seen it make a difference on some boats, not sure about stinger.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

I'll check the bottom.

As for the water tank, it was forward of the helm. I say WAS because I have removed the entire water system. With it being ahead of the CG, I would assume that on the 312 stingers, that an empty water tank would be better for getting the bow up.

I have been reading lots of posts here on OSO and have read about certain propeller designs providing either a lifting moment to the transom, or to the bow. Frankly I am having a hard time understanding how the prop type affects the planing angle, but I am really new to the world of twin engine boats.

Greg
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what engines and how many rpms ?, you should be at top of recommended range usually near 5 grand. Your bravo round ear props are good props if you can turn them hard enough. spinning props in probably wont help in your case, as that typically lifts the stern.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

RPM is 5000-5100
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

stingers always ride flat they are a heavy boat....even in a twim outboard application they ride the same way......Dont ***** one of the nicest rides i had was in a twin outboard stinger....
Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 1989 312 Stinger 2 years ago. I had twin 502MPIs. And I always think the best way for that one rise the drives about 2" from x-dim. I never do that. What engines you have on your Stinger? A picture would be nice!! Mange
Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

The engines are a mix match of parts. According to the previous owner (a member here at OSO by the way) the engines are 502 Magnums that have been fitted with HP500 carbs, intakes, heads, and cams.

The engines sound strong and run good.

Here's a pic of the boat as we took delivery of it last month....

Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

We just sold our 312 this week, but we had the same problem wtih ours.

We ended up changing our props and they really picked the bow up. The boat is so heavy to begin with.

We purchased 23 pitch Revolution 4's from BBlades. We tried at least 11 or 12 other props on her, and Brett at BBlades told us the Stinger would love the Rev 4's and he wasn't kidding. It was like day and night.

Call Brett and he'll send you a pair to try. All you pay is shipping. It'll be worth it. 23 pitch sounds small, but they were perfect, and turn them inward. That also made a difference.

Quick Reply: Need to get the bow riding higher on the 312 stinger. Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.