Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak! >

HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Notices

HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
psmith
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go the the auto store and get a telescoping mirror, I use mine often...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i"ll be sure and check for the bellhousing stud. gotta get that telescoping mirror for sure because that will be a big help! thanks guys!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

What are the odds of the adapter going bad so quick. I just bought it brand new from chevy dealership. it has a little bypass with a spring in it, but not sure if that causes this.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered

Im back after a year later and had to rebuild bottem end again. I was told that pressure was building up in the crankcase and causing the oil seal to leak. started engine back up yesterday and no leak.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BIGSTINGER211
hello everyone! I have a 1984 chris craft stinger 260 that i have been working on restoring and rebuilding for about 4 or 5 years on and off. It has twin 350's. I finally thought i was at completion when I took it out for my first run this year and i encountered an oil leak from hell! It appeared one of the engines lost oil pressure while idling out from the loading ramp. Didn't catch the drop in pressure till a couple of seconds before the engine died. I opened the engine hatch and there was a major puddle of oil in the bilge. I pulled engine, did a bottom end rebuild, dropped engine back in. Okay now i go to start engine up, noticed no oil pressure and there was the oil again in the bilge. I found the oil coming from around oil filter. I replaced that filter with a fresh one. same thing happened again. So i pulled the oil filter adapter off as well and replaced with a new one as well as new filter once again. Well problem was solved, took boat back out and engine ran fine for about a good hour. Well today went out to run engines on hose to check everything out before taking to lake, and there was no oil pressure on the same engine and oil was in bilge again coming fromoil filter. I am at a dead end and don't know what else to do! Does anyone recognize this and no how to resolve? Help greatly appreciated!
thank for the idea, i think i already have the solution now, cause i just overhauled a 350 mpi, the filter o-ring is always coming out, i doubt the oil filter adapter also, i'll change it 2moro , thank for posting
Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

i just exprerience its lately oil coming from filter, i doubt the oil filter adapter also, cause i already replace the oil filter 3 times, same problem, i'll try to buy a adater 2moro
Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Registered

hello everyone! I have a 1984 chris craft stinger 260 that i have been working on restoring and rebuilding for about 4 or 5 years on and off. It has twin 350's. I finally thought i was at completion when I took it out for my first run this year and i encountered an oil leak from hell! It appeared one of the engines lost oil pressure while idling out from the loading ramp. Didn't catch the drop in pressure till a couple of seconds before the engine died. I opened the engine hatch and there was a major puddle of oil in the bilge. I pulled engine, did a bottom end rebuild, dropped engine back in. Okay now i go to start engine up, noticed no oil pressure and there was the oil again in the bilge. I found the oil coming from around oil filter. I replaced that filter with a fresh one. same thing happened again. So i pulled the oil filter adapter off as well and replaced with a new one as well as new filter once again. Well problem was solved, took boat back out and engine ran fine for about a good hour. Well today went out to run engines on hose to check everything out before taking to lake, and there was no oil pressure on the same engine and oil was in bilge again coming fromoil filter. I am at a dead end and don't know what else to do! Does anyone recognize this and no how to resolve? Help greatly appreciated!
have you overhaul both engine, somebody told me that it might be the cam shaft bearing
or the oil gallery iis clog, we are having same trouble
Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Registered

i have clean the oil gallery and blow it with hi pressure air, i run the engine about and its ok now, dont pour oil more than 4 liters
Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Sounds like the relief valve in oil pump is stuck.. If stuck, it will blow the oil filter up and split or leak badly.
Oil pan needs to come off and valve checked. Just had the same problem last week, but I was in the process of priming the long block engine thru the distributor. You could see the oil filter expand almost instantly.
Good luck
Brad
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wildwilly
Sounds like the relief valve in oil pump is stuck.. If stuck, it will blow the oil filter up and split or leak badly.
Oil pan needs to come off and valve checked. Just had the same problem last week, but I was in the process of priming the long block engine thru the distributor. You could see the oil filter expand almost instantly.
Good luck
Brad
+1...this happens with high volume oil pumps. Make sure your relive valve/spring is moving freely or you will blow the weakest gasket and blow oil everywhere. Most of the time you have to pull the engine to do this. I feel bad for you on this. We are supposed to enjoy these rigs after we put so much time and $$$$ into them,,,not have all this friggin drama.

It's unrelated but I had a sticking relief valve blow a push rod tube seal out of a Porsche powered dune buggy at 2AM in the Mint 400 race in Reno, NV in '72...lost the engine before I could shut it down. Hitched a ride back to the pits with James Garner...but that's another story.

I hate oil leaks.

Quick Reply: HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.