Need Advice - Outdrive Housing failed

Old 10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, yea, the marina did this.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

your best option is to have the marina replace at their cost. thats a lot of aluminum to weld. unless someone is a really good welder, they will probably overheat it and it will crack thru the middle of the weld in time or distort.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

if you have a alpha one i have a housing that i can sell you really cheap
Old 10-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Registered

Yea, that probably just broke, right after they backed it into something.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

That's why you need to learn to do your own maintenance. Keeps these mysterious occurences at the marina from happening.

I know I'm sick of all the mysterious scratches that show up on my boat, that's why if I do decide to keep it, it will no longer be going to rack storage.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have heard soooo many rack and launch horror stories. some places are good, some places hire kids at min. wage to drive forklifts with little oversight.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just happen to see an alpha unit on ebay Item number: 200262596656 buy now $250. The housing is probably worth that.
I think they damaged it simple trimming would not have done that, Fork lift, most likely maybe. I have never seen one snap off, not being near a hydraulic ram. Yes if one ram binds and the other continues the housing may snap if heavily corroded but with a clean break, noan accident occured in my opinion and they want you to pay for there mistake. Try to get them to buy and replace this housing with new parts. Tell them you will save them $$ if they save you hassel.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
I have heard soooo many rack and launch horror stories. some places are good, some places hire kids at min. wage to drive forklifts with little oversight.
Well it goes with the territory, if you want the convenience you have to give up some of the control. But this year there were too many 'oh its crazy, we don't know what happened there' to alot of the other boats that were down there too.

Not to mention too many stories of boats going out of after hours with the owners NOT on board . Never saw it personally but heard the stories from more than a few people.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hantunca
That's a good analysis - I have yet to see the boat in person but some of the other pictures show some fiberglass on the ground the color of the boat. I suspect what happened is that they trimmed the engines up into the swim platform.

And yes, the boat is in the water all season.

thanks for your help.
I just don't understand why you did not go right down to the marina and take a look. How did you get the pics. Thats crazy something fishy going on down their I say they broke it some how. I never seen anything like that happen on its own only by getting hit.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

I'm going to go up to the marina this week - it's about 2 hours from where I live, and I've been really busy with work as a server crashed. Anyway, the pictures were sent to me from the marina - as soon as I heard about the damage I asked them to take pictures. I will go up, check out the damage and talk to the manager.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Outdrive Housing failed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.