Hull tuning. >

Hull tuning.

Notices

Hull tuning.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull tuning.

I have a 1986 CC Scorpion 230 Ltd. Ive gutted the boat and replaced the transom and the floor supports. I removed the 350 and am building a 454. I replaced the Alpha with a Bravo gimble housing. (not sure if im running the BIII I have already or finding a BI) I raised the propshaft height 2.5" already and started taking the hooks out yesterday. Other than removing the bottom paint, can anyone think of anything else I should be doing to update the hull while everything is apart? And has anyone else raised the drive height of a 23 or am I the guinea pig?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered

Anyone have any ideas? Length of tabs maybe?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I'm glad your doing it now. I bought a 454 version last year and am redoing interior and the like now, I have 2 alpha ss drives alnong with the standard drive that is currently on. I havent had a chance this year with the ss drive yet but will tell of results when used. Fortunately I had no glass work needed. Puting in full set of livorsi and new vinyl.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Registered

540... What was your top speed with the 454? Was the engine stock?modified? Also, if you have the boat near you, can you do me a favor and measure the height of the water line from the bottom or the swim platform. I want to make sure that my exhaust and swim platform wont be under water with all the extra weight from the 454 and a BIII. If its not that easy to do forget about it, dont go out of your way. Im just curious. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Registered

As I understand it, the hooks are there to keep the bow down at all times, the more boat out of the water, the faster and more stable the boat is at higher speeds. Please correct me if im wrong before I do something ill regret. Tks.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by 540phil
Actually I'm glad your doing it now. I bought a 454 version last year and am redoing interior and the like now, I have 2 alpha ss drives alnong with the standard drive that is currently on. I havent had a chance this year with the ss drive yet but will tell of results when used. Fortunately I had no glass work needed. Puting in full set of livorsi and new vinyl.
Wanna sell one of your Alpha SS drives??
Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Agreed... I will leave as is. Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

But then again, its 3 mph. Just kidding.. Tks again.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Registered

Well I believe the factory posted the Scorpion 23 @ 52 mph with a stock 330 454 @ 4400 rpm and 46 mph for the 260 hp, thats about all there is unless you add hp, shorten the drive or raise the rpm's. Is the B3 a duo prop? If it is you certainly will not need the additional prop for ventivation problems unless you raise the drive to a point you do. (Tom Z), not right now, but check back latter in the summer, I'm having a merc dealer go thru them now, they will be perfect. I will post top speed with the standard alpha 1.5 ratio drive then #s on the SS.
First I want to get the livorsi prop slip guage / gps speedo.
I will say I ve never had a scorpion 23 that was light in the bow, between the deep set standard drive height and the 454
weight, mine have always been tail heavy. (Scorpion 23), the distance between the swim platform and the water line is maybe 2-3". If you are putting in thru hull exhaust you will have to go thru the transom and thru the swimdeck. Be careful
in not going to deep, you will suck water and bend valves or to shallow as the water you are pumping out will come back when you get off the throttles. Better find the stock setup to alleviate these potential problems, though rare they were available.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered

Correction

I will say I ve never had a scorpion 23 that was HEAVY in the bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.