Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
My First Boat 1984 Chris-craft 260 Stinger ??? Help !! >

My First Boat 1984 Chris-craft 260 Stinger ??? Help !!

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just traded a guy a 67 Mustang Coupe for a 1984 Chris-Craft Stinger 260 ..I believe this boat has twin 350's and thats about all I know..lol

I need to a crash Course on this boat..the boat runs good as far as I know, we went out on the lake this past weekend and seemed good to me.

Where these good boats, how was / is reliablity, Are Parts hard to locate and are they expensive?

Where do I go to get full detailed manuals, or what ever I might need to know or look for...as far as boats go ive only had or been on bass boats or pontoons...this is a new adventure for me.

Also the visible problem on this boat I noticed right away is that the boat has been repainted before..and there are cracks in the paint..is this fixable or a most definatle problem..stress or just ****ty paint? any great help will be rewarded with Whiskey..lmfao thanks Marty.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

I had one many years back I totally refurbished...

nice rough water boat compared to other 26 footer, not too fast, around 58-60 mph max, not too thursty on gas at cruising speed 3000 to 3300 rpm.

they all seem to stress crack on both side of the middle of deck, in the corner close to the windshield, going up to the bottom of windshield. other than that, they are fine.

any marina could sell you jobber parts to improve or update the look or what needs to be changed...

Good all around boat, you should not have too much problem, as long you got the mecanical part inspected to make sure you did not buy something that needed big $$$ in engines or drives...

keep us posted how it goes!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Registered

Default 1984 Chris Craft Stinger 260

Originally Posted by jeff32
I had one many years back I totally refurbished...

nice rough water boat compared to other 26 footer, not too fast, around 58-60 mph max, not too thursty on gas at cruising speed 3000 to 3300 rpm.

they all seem to stress crack on both side of the middle of deck, in the corner close to the windshield, going up to the bottom of windshield. other than that, they are fine.

any marina could sell you jobber parts to improve or update the look or what needs to be changed...

Good all around boat, you should not have too much problem, as long you got the mecanical part inspected to make sure you did not buy something that needed big $$$ in engines or drives...

keep us posted how it goes!
Well the boat didnt cost me but a 1967 Mustang coupe, worth about $8500 it was a straight up trade and have always wanted a big boat. We went out on the boat last weekend and it fired right up and cruised good, I dont plan on putting it on big water just a few lakes around here like Lake Cumberland, Nolin and Rough River..I just didnt want another 18' Malibu or 30' baja like everyone else, I like this boat ..well cause it was like my mustang, old , had character , needed a little work but not something everyone has or could easily find.

What would I be looking at price wise as far as a good inspection cost me?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Great boat, I enjoyed the heck out of mine. Mine was an 85 and was a one owner boat when i got it. I went through the boat over the first winer i had it and did all the cosmetics (paint, new cockpit vinyl and carpet) Also freshened up the power the following winter and brought them up to about 300hp a side. The boat ran fantastic all the time and would cruise effortlessly at 50mph at just about 4000rpm but was very thirsty at this speed as it was into the secondarys. Rough water was no problem just drop the tabs and let her eat. The new owner is still in my area but trailers to cumberland several times a year. This is what it looked like when i traded it in on my ScarabIII.

Great boat and a fantastic boat to start out with. About the only bad thing i have to say is they tend to porpous a bit in flatter water but you get use to it.
Attached Thumbnails My First Boat 1984 Chris-craft 260 Stinger ??? Help !!-100_3364.jpg   My First Boat 1984 Chris-craft 260 Stinger ??? Help !!-mill-031-medium-.jpg   My First Boat 1984 Chris-craft 260 Stinger ??? Help !!-scorp-pics-058-medium-.jpg  

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

Default Soo

Soo thats YOUR boat..lol ive been tearing those pics up..I found a link to ur site...lol awsomnesss..so the 85 and the 84 are the same??

I've been talking to two buddies of mine, dave Henson, of hensons custom hotrod's and fabrication, and Danny Taylor of Taylors House of colors, and I think paint wize im lookin at a white Pearl, like what comes off the new Jaguar XK8's
in link below
http://www.velocetoday.com/images/January%2005/d15.jpg

And as far as interior this color Tan/brown in simulated leather but in " Water proof Vinyl"

http://www.personalizationmall.com/c...ge/2449-C1.jpg

I've help both buddys built alot of custom rod's..and since this boat is 25 yrs old or what not..think ill go with a some what custom hot rod theme...smooth it out, keep it simple, and smooth...I want It to whisper at the chics with big fake boobs..sayin" come... sit an smile..lol then do marty in the cuddy..lol Here are a few poor pics of the boat now. If you cant see the pics just visit my myspace page .

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...373&i=22785315

Last edited by MartyMar; 08-19-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: to add pics
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

one other good mod that i did was install thru hull exhaust. On mine though i didnt want to cut any holes in the swim platform so i got short straight cut tips and exited them just under the hollow platform. Holy crap did that thing sound good, it just resonated out from undernieth without being hars or overly loud. Just a fantastic rumble (chicks with fake boobs dig that ) .

Do you have a link to where you found the pics? I lost it lol.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

found it, was this the one you had?

http://stupidfastboats.com/dave.htm

you'll notice the screwdriver on the dash in nearly every pic. If you still have the extruded aluminum rub rail you need one to .

Last edited by glassdave; 08-19-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the trade.

I was wondering if your 84 had a bench or drop down bolster type seats? Anyway it is a fun boat and the twins are always great!
I have an 87 260 I still play with quite often but I now have a 390X that is my main boat. The 260 (if you read more abou them on this thread) have what is referred to "The Stinger Hop" It seems the 260's are prone to this but I have Keikoffer Tabs to help smooth this out. Apparently this "hop" is common with that length of boat.
It was also mentioned that this boat likes rough water and I agree there for sure. It can take a good pounding but it's more the driver...whether he wants to keep his teeth intact? I have been out in some very rough stuff...not always by choice, and she has always got me home again.
Try to play withe the props and pitches and see what works well for you. You should turn between 4600 and 4800 rpm for max performance. I have been experimenting with props lately and have come to the conclusion that a 14.25 x 19 four blade stainless will probably do the best for me. I presently have 14 x 23 three blade and it only turns about 4100 max but will cruise along about 54-55mph downhill with a tailwind. I need a few more rpm...

What was yours running at when you took it out?
Oh yes...and DEFINITELY get thru-hulls.......................

My Toys...

Last edited by Stinger390X; 08-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Registered

It has a bench I believe in the back. I havent had but a few min to get aquainted with it since i got it..but will give it the go over this weekend and will post lots of pics on myspace,
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Registered

and I did find out that there are cracks along the top of the boat under the windshield and above that aluminium strip that runs along the boat, the cracks are here an there and they go all the way to the back and im suspecting is gelcoat. Im not a fan of paying people for work I know i can do, so Dave if you were going to fix Gelcoat the correct way, what Tools, and materials will I need.???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.