Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
202 Stinger Build >

202 Stinger Build

Notices

202 Stinger Build

Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My backgroung for the past 25 years is been in engineering Marine Products for major brands, i have two other guys that have worked with me building the major brands over the past 15 years we have developed 15 foot boats to 50' boats, this project would be a peice of cake, the biggest problem will be a building, we have some supplies and we have the tools.
I am right in the middle of a divorce, as soon as i get through that i plan on developing a repair and design firm for special boats like this little 202 Chris.
The business will be located in Northern Michigan Eastport michigan quiet little town on the north end of Torch Lake and right next to the Grand Traverse Bay.
Can't wait!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

The 202 is a cool little boat and I was very close to buying one a few months ago.
I have had some experince with 202s and 222s when I did alot of fiberglass warrt work in the 80s for CC and others in Austin Texas.
The early ones had the sand added at the dealer after some very unhappy people raised alot of chit about them.
Neat boats for sure and they have a great look and can be alot of fun but (don't take this wrong) you guys are nuts!!!!! and if you want to add to the bottom with not just start with a 222?
Good luck guys and keep us posted and please be safe
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Hey Cosmic12
Thanks for telling us we are nuts i think we both know that, but its nice to be reminded!
The reason i bought a 202 is because of the price was a steel and i had the engine.
Because you worked for Chris Craft and you were around to here the buzz from the dealers, what was the reason for putting sand in the bow, dealers were afraid of to much bow lift? the boat got to light on plane?
Good information for my build.
Thanks
JR
Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

LOL about nuts, you guys got bigger ones than me
They were very very light in the bow and I heard tales of them going over backwards at speed when hitting waves and some chine walking that got outa controll probly through lack of experince with any kind of performance boating at all, so that was thier answer........weight in the nose.
There was a red 222 at the dealer that had a big block that was like drive'n and old Allison, very very light. They had us put lead bars in the gunnels on that one and in the nose.
Like I said they are cool little boats but they were never ment for the speeds you guys want. There was alot of lamination problems mid 80s also so check the hull for any cracking that might look like gell stress but could go way deeper than you think, I had to redo a few larger Stingers from bad gell that soaked up water like a sponge.

Good luck be safe the water isn't as soft as it looks
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cosmic12
LOL about nuts, you guys got bigger ones than me
They were very very light in the bow and I heard tales of them going over backwards at speed when hitting waves and some chine walking that got outa controll probly through lack of experince with any kind of performance boating at all, so that was thier answer........weight in the nose.
There was a red 222 at the dealer that had a big block that was like drive'n and old Allison, very very light. They had us put lead bars in the gunnels on that one and in the nose.
Like I said they are cool little boats but they were never ment for the speeds you guys want. There was alot of lamination problems mid 80s also so check the hull for any cracking that might look like gell stress but could go way deeper than you think, I had to redo a few larger Stingers from bad gell that soaked up water like a sponge.

Good luck be safe the water isn't as soft as it looks
Thanks Cosmic12
I have a question, did you work for Chris Craft the company? Because i work for Chris Craft durring the OMC days, i was the production engineer that took product from Goshen Indiana to Cadillac Mi to be built, i was responsible for the introduction of the Concept series in the mid 90's and then tranfered the product back to the Sarasota Florida plant shortly after we just got production going in Cadillac the OMC management was forced by Chris Craft dealers to get the product back to its home base in the mid 90's.
John Russell
Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered

No I didn't work directly for CC I was just a glass guy that went around to the marina's and did repairs.
I hooked up with C.C./Donzi dealer and they had me dealing with the MFG's for all the warr. work. This was from about 1984 to 89 then I moved back up north.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

WOW, what a great weekend on Torch Lake, man i love my little 202 the thing is a blast, got the prop dialed in, havent removed the sand as of yet, but i can see where it want to bow steer a little at 40 mph, and tough to get good trim response, so the sand is comming out!!!!
It pops on plane now, so the hull change is on hold for now, top speed is in the workings, from 30 to 50 in split second, like a little rocket, awesome !!!!!!!
Handles the rough water better than i thought it would.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 202

When you take out the sand you will see and feel the difference,and look out it will get light feeling.Be carefull when you get over 60 mph .Did you get a top speeed on it JOHN SR

Last edited by Fenderjack; 05-17-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add
Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Hi fenderjack
I was at 3500 rpm at 50, backed out had girl friend with me and that was fast enough for her, max rev is 4600, so we will see this next weekend, again if the weather permits
One thing thats nice with the DP drive it holds the boat nice and flat, no chine walk yet!?
I think i am going to remove half the sand and test!?
John Russell
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Not bad.. Man you should know not to take the girly out when your dialing in lol.. Keep us posted..

John jr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.