202 Stinger Build >

202 Stinger Build

Notices

202 Stinger Build

Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 202 Stinger Build

Hi Everyone new to the sight. but would like to share my current build, 1987 202 stinger Chris, the boat is currently all white with new interior, just installed a 2007 Volvo 8.1 with 1:78 DP drive with F6 props, just took the boat out for a test run, the boat ran very well, but i think the hull needs a few tweeks to make it even a better performing boat, lenghten the hull back to the end of the afterpods, giving the boat more lift aft and a longer running surface and a flatter on plane take off, also working on the propping of the engine to boat
combination.
Working on getting pics for your pleasure!
JR
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default Stinger 202

So far you are right on your asumptions,We have a 202 on the sight here,and found out the same thing the boat needs to be longer.We are in the high 70's low 80's on gps depending on how the boat want's to handel on any given day.We are running a small block chevy.Did you take the sand out of the front.To solve the problem of length,this year we went to a imco extension box,external steering and 280 K planes,we are also going procharger this year.We found the boat get's into a chine walk in the mid 60's till the low 70's but you can drive thru it,we have several you tube clips on this boat.You really have to drive these neat little rockets.I know from running drag boats that this thing has a100mph in it,Just watch it the thing will blow over on you.Will be posting pic's ect of the new changes soon.Lot's of luck. JOHN SR.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Thanks Fenderjack
About the sand in the bow, no i havent removed the sand, not yet, because of adding the extra weight aft and yes the blowing over issue, I noticed when trimming the boat out, it didn't react well to trim, so i am going to do some bottom research on the little rocket, see I have been in the product development field for the marine industery for 25 years and have worked for companys like Four Winns,Chris Craft,Larson, Glastron, Azure, and have helped developed hull bottoms for each of these companies and really enjoy taking older boats and making them run smooth stable, fast and more important quick on plane, see most companies when introducing new boats dont do enough testing before launching a new product and have a good understanding on what the customer is looking for in their boat, and the customer dont know until its to late after the purchase.
Anyhow, I have a guy that worked for me at Four Winns that can extended my hull with out to much trouble and i think the boat will run great, but i have to finish a little more testing.
Keep in touch Fenderjack
Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 202

If yours is like mine it has a hook in it,I found I was never able to get the bow up to air it out,getting on plane was really never a issue with the V/8 but was with the V/6. The sand is up in the bow under that big mound of foam. We took out almost 200#.Now the boat airs out good. Thanks JOHN
Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Registered

Default 202

I just may have to give removing the sand a try!
Also do you have a cruise speed porpoise around 30 35 mph?
I will also check the bottom for hook.
Thannks again for the advise!
John R
Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Registered

Hey Fenderjack
Another thing with extending the afteropds, this will allow for alot less bow rise and a much quicker planing time, also will help prevent chine walk, the boat then will run on the after pods at full throttle and support the boat, should be nothing but air under the whole boat, should also be able to take care of the mid range porpoise.
Just ideas on how to make this little boat even better!
We will see!
John R
Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

You can remove the sand and then add weight 25lbs at a time if you like.. I removed all the sand from the one I had about 10 years ago- - cool boats.

Last edited by FASTTIMES; 05-05-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 202

Mid range porposing,Don't have any never did.You might have it because of the extra weight in the rear.Our boat never had trim tabs on it,and after running this boat for almost 41/2 years I think that the addition of tabs alone might of taken the chine walk out of it.Also never had external steering and you know what a little slop can do.The chine walk is not severe and only is their for a little bit.So I think every one of these 202s are different,because there was no quality control,Just pull out the floors and look at that mess they call fiberglass work. JOHN Sr.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Thanks Fenderjack
i will start digging and testing and see what i come up with!
Thanks for all your insight!
I just may need to pull a mold set after I get this boat perfected!
JR

Last edited by EASY WAKE; 05-06-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 202

If you could pull a mold ,are you capable of laying up a hull and deck,If so I would be VERY interested.Have sum good input as to what the boat needs.Full length REAL engine stringers for one. Thanks JOHN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.