Scorpion 230XL question >

Scorpion 230XL question

Notices

Scorpion 230XL question

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ESCOBAR
Nice pictures that you took of the 1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 23XL. From the pictures I have to say that it is a 7.4 MerCruiser 454/330hp. And the MerCruiser outdrive is a Bravo 1. Now from the picture of the Bravo 1 outdrive you can see that the outdrive is missing the fin that is located on the bottom of the outdrive which looks like an upside down sharks fin. So, you would have to pull the lower outdrive off and replace the Fin. And probably have to change the gimble bearing too. The shaft that holds the prop looks good and straight which is good news. You might want to check the tilt motor for the outdrive to see if the tilt goes up and down and also check out the oil inside the tilt motor to see if it is pure oil and not milky or creamy. Then you might as well change the outdrive oil too. On the engine if I were you I would get a local boat mechanic to over look the engine. (Their are some marine mechanics under marine services on Craigslist .com that will only charge for an hour or two) from the pictures of the engine it looks like it is not in that bad of shape for a 1984. From what I can say so far the outdrive needs to be pulled The engine might need a rebuild as it depends on your budget and how much you are willing to put in the Chris Craft but after that is all done you are going to have one heck of a nice looking Chris Craft Scorpion. The next time when you go see the boat take some pictures of the whole outside of the boat to show what looks is like.

Here is a Video to give you a look on a Bravo 1 outdrive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFXJhOE8Y0

Thanks for the video! This is what the engine should sound like when its running.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0pkv...5D4568B56EF321

Pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stinger390X
Just squirt regular engine oil in the cylinders if need be? WD40 will wash the cylinder walls and cause excessive friction on the piston rings. Regular oil will lubricate and seal.
Crank it over and see if there is oil pressure also. One way to test this without turning the engine over is to remove the distributor and using a tool (I made my own)that will fit into the oil pump , hook it to an electric drill and spin the pump. You should see pressure on the gauge. If you do, the pump should be ok , so put distributor back and try to turn over the engine to see if it starts.
Good advice! I will put something together to spin it around..
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that outdrive is an alpha 1. |Someone has droped that big block in that boat. that boat should only be a 350ci engine. The alpha will handle the big block power just be easy on it
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scorp260sting
that outdrive is an alpha 1. |Someone has droped that big block in that boat. that boat should only be a 350ci engine. The alpha will handle the big block power just be easy on it
What speeds would I get out of the boat with that 7.4 454 V8?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered

Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
That's a pretty fair speed. I can buy this boat as soon as I get my Mini Hawk sold.....

update for today: cylinder lubrication put in again today....next time I go down there, checking compression + firing up engine......hopefully......
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

good luck nothing like big block sound... that thunder carries a long time on the water
Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

This looks like the same boat discussed on another forum last year. boats looks a little worse for wear and tear. still quite the money pit. remember if you put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig. probably the same poster from the other forum. just say'n you need to get over this boat! and move on
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Just checked the photos from the other site. same boat. is that you Minihawk?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

That is an alpha outdrives. You can easily just have a “fin” welded back on to the drive if it is still functional. It looks just like the one I got rid of other then the color. If I were you do the best you can to check for rot because that is what killed mine and the cost is ridiculous to fix even if you do it yourself but it is still probably a descent price even if you part it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.