Exhaust question >

Exhaust question

Notices

Exhaust question

Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Exhaust question

My 230XL has a 454...and the exhaust instead of going to the pipes, looks like it exits from the drive....why was it done like that if it has pipes, and how could I change it to exit through the pipes?
Thanks.

Sam
Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you mean it has either a selectable system (both through transom pipes and the Y-Pipe for through drive exit) or it has through transom pipes that have been bypassed in favour of a through drive (underwater) exhaust probably due to local noise restrictions?
I can't offer much assistance until I have a better idea of your set-up. Any chance of a picture or two perhaps?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Registered

We have no local noise restrictions, but perhaps the previous owner had wanted it quiet. Here is a pic of the setup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sam

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 11-11-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
We have no local noise restrictions, but perhaps the previous owner had wanted it quiet. Here is a pic of the setup:

Sam

Looks quite normal setup. Pipes goes down to the Y-pipe and forward to the sterndrive.

If you wanted straight pipes out, Simply drill holes and put exhaust tips. Connect exhaust manifold to the tips by rubber pipe.

You must seal y-pipe holes other wise water comes inside.

Buy such tips where are rubber flaps inside wich keep water outside of engine.

One place for exhaust tips:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o21448-en.html
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Boat already has the thru tull tips above the swim-platform.

So what you are saying is that I can take the Y- Pipes out and replace it with straight pipes. Makes sense

When I get the Y-Pipes out, I will sell them most likely.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Boat already has the thru tull tips above the swim-platform.

So what you are saying is that I can take the Y- Pipes out and replace it with straight pipes. Makes sense

When I get the Y-Pipes out, I will sell them most likely.[/QUOTE]

So you need almost nothing. Y-pipe out, straight rubber pipes to the tips and remember seal y-pipe hole !
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Can the straight rubber pipes bend alittle to fit towards the thru hull exhaust? The 454 thats in there at the moment is not the original motor, and the positioning of the pipes don't match up with the engine's location.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is a little? A couple of inches maybe. Get a piece of hose and see if it lines up or how far it is off. before you go crazy on this boat did you check the stringers? If they are ok get it running clean it up and have fun don't spend thousands trying to make it something its not. Oh and you will need a lower unit the skege is gone.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

The issue with putting any bend in the rubber pipe from the riser to the tails / tips is that the exhaust will go straight out of the riser and the rubber may get burned. If this happens, you may either have a big hole in your exhaust inside your engine bay, or the inner part of the tube may balloon and restrict flow. You can however, adjust the height of the spacers underneath your risers / elbows so the exhaust lines up correctly. Those blocks under your 90 degree elbows on top of your exhaust manifolds look to be 3" spacers. Find out how much your pipes need to go down to meet up with the tips and have a machine shop chop it off the risers for you! If they need to go up more, get custom spacers.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the noise bylaws.....

Hook up the thru-hulls for sure! You won't be sorry., especially having cubic inches to rumble!

I had a 230 a long time ago but it was only a small block. My 245 was a big block boat with thru-hulls and it was crazy fast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.