Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
CC 245 Limited Potential good deal..video included!! New Guy!! >

CC 245 Limited Potential good deal..video included!! New Guy!!

Notices

CC 245 Limited Potential good deal..video included!! New Guy!!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CC 245 Limited Potential good deal..video included!! New Guy!!

Hello all! I grew up on small bow riders on Lake Guntersville in North Alabama. We always had older boats and dealt with older boat problems. After losing a motor and a stern drive last year on our 86’ Dynasty we sold everything we had. Plus… we always eyed the larger, sport cubby boats. After searching on Google for details and information on CC 245’s I wound up here.

I chilled on the water with a few of my big boat friends this past weekend. I told them that I HAD to get back into boating. That’s when they told me about this 88 Chris Craft 245 Limited. The boat was running earlier this year. It looks wonderful cleaned up and has a fantastic shine. It has since set out under some kind of sap tree. The motor has been pulled. Apparently when installing a new carb he dropped something in the motor that wreaked havoc on a cylinder wall. The heads are good, minus on bad valve. The long block is supposedly- trashed. However, my boat friends know of another long block Merc 454 on the cheap. It needs “refreshed”. They all swear that the stern drive is good to go. The trailer appears to be in great shape as well. The owner says that everything else works flawlessly. So as it sits in “good” cosmetic condition; it needs a really good scrubbing/waxing, needs rear bench rebuilt, interior done, and of course a motor… what is it worth now? I have attached a video and pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNj6sD8pYPw&feature=plcp

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to rain on your parade but I wish to spell "caution" to you with all due respect.
I had a 245 for four months. It was an incredibly fast boat but I found that it porpoused too much and I had a hell of a time trying to trim it out every time I went out boating. It was a good boat but not exactly what I wanted and when I had an offer to sell, I jumped on the oportunity to get rid and get a 260 with twins.
That's my story ... short as it is but I see from the pictures there is rot in the interior and mould on the seats in the cuddy??? this would lead me to check VERY carefully the stringers for moisture contect as well as the hull. The boat may be nice and shiny but that big block may be stressing the transom as we speak. Get a moisture metre and check it out for hidden surprises.
The stainless prop is nice however the drives are rotten looking...Was the boat in salt water? if so does the boat have a good set of mercathodes? I would be checking the outdrive oil for colour and density and the gimble bearing as well.

It might be the right boat for you if all these things pass and you can get it cheap enough. A rebuilt 454 is common and can be found almost anywhere. Its got easy access for working so if you can turn a wrench...Bob's your uncle!

I wish you good luck in this possible purchase and hope my advice will help you make an educated decision.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Knowing what I know now after doing a couple boats, it needs lots of work that you have not even thought about, it adds up FAST and turn key boats are too cheap, I personally would have a hard time paying more then 1500 for it in that shape as by the time you do everything it needs you will have a small fortune in it, you may lest some things slide at the time but it will bother you.. and then you spend MORE money...

I put WAY too much money in my 32 Baja and escaped before I did more and got my Cig..

I had a 245 years ago, it was a great boat for what it was, the deadrise will allow you to get beat up in big water depending where you boat may not be an issue, I overnighted every weekend with a wife, usually a brother and my 2 dogs, so I used it to potetial, especially since I'm on Lake Erie slop water...

Loved the way it looked and man was it fun when I was by myself and could beat the tar out of it!!

I dont wanna steer ytou away, just making sure you know whats gonna happen....

Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away! The 245 ltd is by far the worst boat I've ever own.

Look for a nice 242 Formula insted.

Good luck!

Mange
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to keep your options open. There are A LOT of Chris Craft boats out there.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/3275229733.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/3225812979.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3236768636.html

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/boa/3163420275.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/3155877459.html