Need some help >

Need some help

Notices

Need some help

Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I have a 1988 chris craft scorpion 210 with the 260hp mid engine 350. I am thinking I need a new shift cable because Last summer when we were out with some friends the shift cable got hooked on a cooler and tugged on a bit. nothing came loose but now if you go past 3/4 throttle it shifts into nuetral. not sure if this is a separate issue but it did happen at the same time. Also when i bouight the boat the old owner did tell me the cable was stretched and was out of adjustment so it may need to be replaced soon anyway. I also have the impeller hose that goes up to the transom that is cracked and needs service. I am thinking of tackling this as a spring project and am wondering what special tools may be needed and any obsticles I may run into. I am leaning towards doing everything (gimble bearing, trim switches, hoses, bellows, shift cable, etc. while I have it apart) Thank you all for your time and sorry for the long winded post. Also I was wondering if there is any other maintenance that I should be doing at the same time.

Last edited by HOFFMAN514; 02-25-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what type of drives you have but if it's a Merc Alpha then you will only need one special tool which is a socket for the gimpble. It si a Torx type of tool that fits in and is used usually with a 1/2 drive rachet. Other than that standard tools should suffice for the rear end rebuild.
As for the cable i would change it regardless. If your having an issue a new cable is only about 60-100 bucks or so??? The reason it popped into neutral is questionable? Be sure to set the cable up and the safety neutral swich on top of the carburetor. It is a small lever type gizmop that stalls the engine momentarily when you shift into reverse. This must be lined up in the neutral position. Not hard to do but askla friend at the marina is you have any problems.

Have fun with that boat. I had a 210 but it had a OMC (Junk!) and my 230 was a centre mount small block like yours with an Alpha. Great boat as it scoots out of the water quickly as it is a great ski boat because of the mid engine mounting.