looking for some help 88 245 limited >

looking for some help 88 245 limited

Notices

looking for some help 88 245 limited

Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some help 88 245 limited

ok so long story short i have two 1988 chris craft 245 limiteds both with titles and trailers, my teal one has the 350 merc on it, and my gray one has a 460 with no out drive, i have put alot of time in the teal one to get it running and cleaned up, now the gray one what are my chances of finding a out drive and what do i exactly need, i am here for help not to argue with anyone or be down graded for buying these boats, i got a total of 2500 into pair i think i did ok with them, anyone have any advice for me and what to keep and eye on and i really need to learn about the 460 the out drive was missing when i got it, i assume it needs a omc but other than that im not sure if anyone is interested in them i would sell them as a pair or separate both have trailers, i am always looking for next deal but these big girls are fun and i am going to keep fixing them up thanks for your help i am from quarryville, pa and yes i know the amish mafia
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 460's usually had OMC outdrives on them. This is not always the case but most of the 460's I have seen had them. The small block is usually an Alpha I.

One thing I learned when I had my 245 is that it suffered from the dreaded "STINGER HOP" My boat was a big block and a Bravo and would skip all over the place. Way too much power for such a short base!

I bought a 260 after that and now own a 390 and the larger the boat ... the more stable it is.

My advice...don't go too crazy on the hp output. they are great river boats, but not a great open water boat.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered

yea i dont plan on doing much open water boating we do mostly rivers just plan on using it to pull occasional tube, as a floating hang out but want it to run and look good getting there im good on big block but do i need a omc king cobra or something for the 460
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Registered

Had a 90 245 with a 460 for 10 years. Super nice boat, comfortable and big enough for me an the wife
for over nighters.
You'll need to find a King Cobra outdrive for the 460. Good luck , parts are at a premium if available at all. Don't know if it will change out , but if you could go up to a 92 or 93 Volvo for a big block, that would be the way to go. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I had a 88 with a SBC, fix the BB one up, took tions of power for me to go 53 in it, I did aluminum heads, cam intake all that, only got 53 one time...