Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
1990 245 LTD - First Start in 2 years. >

1990 245 LTD - First Start in 2 years.

Notices

1990 245 LTD - First Start in 2 years.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Default 1990 245 LTD - First Start in 2 years.

Bought a 1990 245 LTD Cuddy... been using it for years, and actually bought it!

It's been very well taken care of, however it's not been run in at least two years. I'm concerned about starting it the first time after sitting so long.

It's an OMC 460 King Kobra, I believe it uses 8 qts of strait 40 weight.

It's only 40 degrees here (and kept at 40 in my heated garage ), so I'm not planning to start it until spring.

I'm wondering if there is any way to prelube the engine before just cranking it over. I'd like to minimize wear on it, but after 2 years I'm sure all the oil has run to the pan.

I'm also looking for an oil pump for oil changes (always borrowed one before, now I need one of my own).

Thanks guys! I'll post before and after pics when I get a chance.

A full wash/ buff / wax / rewash is in the works, and going to redo / clean the whole thing inside out, even though it looks almost new everywhere.

It also needs an updated audio system, some LED lights, and the speedo and fuel gauge work... not most of the time...
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40 weight oil??? Seems a bit thick but if that is what is called for in the manual then I must concede???
As for prelube, unless your a good mechanic and have a few tools, there isn't much to do.
I would pull the distributor and I have a special tool that I made that fits on a drill and drives the oil pump externally from the distributor hole. Once the oil is pumped up to pressure I replace the distributor, but if you don't know how to time the engine again then this might be a bit tricky for you?

The pump you want for oil changes is available at any boat supply or even at the boat shows (that is where I got mine) They come in very handy! Mine is the three gallon tall pump and I have drain hoses that come off the bottom of the oil pan. (I highly recommend you do this too) If you don't have the hoses attached to the bottom of the pan, the device will suck the oil out of the dipstick tube quite well. It takes a bit longer and there is always some residue left over but it does the trick. Definitely get the hose and coupler for the oil pan so you can drain from the bottom as it is much more efficient. The oil sucker tool makes oil changes so easy!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Yea, that's what I figured. I'll pick up the oil sucker this fall. Thanks!

Yea, it's run strait 40 for as long as I've used it,.. 15+ years.