Props turned in?

Notices

Props turned in?

Old 06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Props turned in?

We just splashed our Kevlar cover girl non stepped Gun with new 800s and 2" shorter drives.
She now needs one more notch of tab than before, with drives totally tucked in at cruise speeds.
Have any of you guy's tried turned your props in on your non stepped Guns? And if so did it help at 60mph and below at cruise speed?
Thanks! Glen
Old 06-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Props turned in?

Just out of curiosity what motors are you running, and what speeds are you seeing? I am in the process of a very similar setup! 750's, xr's 34p props.... also how dose the boat do with the 2"shorty's on it? I ran 84 with 650's an 30p
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravos ?..Very easy to try..Swap the props & use reverse for forward..
Tried it on the Bullet once..Hated it ! ruined the way the boat handled. My Gun has Vs turning in. Feels fine
Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by STRAIGHTPRIORITY
Just out of curiosity what motors are you running, and what speeds are you seeing? I am in the process of a very similar setup! 750's, xr's 34p props.... also how dose the boat do with the 2"shorty's on it? I ran 84 with 650's an 30p
Diamond Performance modded our 600scs with comp cams roller cams , JE pistons , AFR heads, etc for an easy 800+hp and they installed 1.35 ratio Max Machine Billet drives.
With the stockSC 600s @ 5400rpms, stock Bravo I drives and and Bravo 4 blade 26 pitch props we saw 82+mph on gps fully loaded if it was rough enough on the bay.
I am now running a set of borrowed 4 blade 32 pitch Bravos, they are to much wheel for the beast and I can tell with this ratio that we need 29s or 30s turning @ 5600rpms.
We still need 5 more hrs on the new drives before we can trim her up and we hope to net 92 to 95mph.
I cant say yet how she likes the shorter drives , so far she porpoises a bit worse than before and I have gone from # 6, last years sweet spot to 7 on the trim tabs and that's with our drives all the way in @ 3500 to 4000rpms our normal cruise rpm.
This weekend when I trim her out I will off the 32 props and get her dialed in with 29s or 30s and I will let you know how the shorter drives work out.
That's why I was asking about turning my props in instead of out to mabie help with that extra cruise speed porpoising, I have heard it works well on our stern heavy Kevlar /Cover Girl non stepped hulls.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered

I think turning in will suck stern down and therefore produce bow lift. Not what you want. That is why stepped boats mostly run turning in.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Props turned in?

Originally Posted by jmackin
I think turning in will suck stern down and therefore produce bow lift. Not what you want. That is why stepped boats mostly run turning in.

I saw a 38' Gun non-stepped owned by a guy who KNOWS boats..the thing had T-700's I think...4-blade cleavers turned in.

NO other info available.

Are cleavers good for that boat?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

I have two friends with 99 Tigers, cover girl cabin, non-stepped. One has 900 SC's the other has 1000's both #6's. The one w/900's turns props in and runs a couple mph faster than the 1000's w/props turned out. The Tiger w/props out handles WAY better and the one with the props in airs out the bow when it comes out of the water.

You're gun will have the same handling characteristics as the Tigers. You'll see the bow come up and have worse handling around the docks but you'll gain a couple mph when you turn the props in. You decide if it's worth it.

By the way, show some pics of the boat!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:01 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Tried both with my XR Tiger and "in" sucks.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Registered

thanks for the info wildwarrior.... keep me updated!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
I have two friends with 99 Tigers, cover girl cabin, non-stepped. One has 900 SC's the other has 1000's both #6's. The one w/900's turns props in and runs a couple mph faster than the 1000's w/props turned out. The Tiger w/props out handles WAY better and the one with the props in airs out the bow when it comes out of the water.

You're gun will have the same handling characteristics as the Tigers. You'll see the bow come up and have worse handling around the docks but you'll gain a couple mph when you turn the props in. You decide if it's worth it.

By the way, show some pics of the boat!
Thank's for the info guy's ,here are a few pics !
Attached Thumbnails Props turned in?-dscf0046.jpg   Props turned in?-dscf0019.jpg  

Quick Reply: Props turned in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.