1999 38 top gun >

1999 38 top gun

Notices

1999 38 top gun

Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 38 top gun

OK guys i need some advice/assistance. I have owned this boat for roughly 6 months, and built some big aluminum motors for it that we had some major issues with! (wish i had kept the original blower motors) and i ended up putting a pair of carb hp 500's in her now, and had a blast with the boat for 3 weeks or so. This past weekend in the hrpa poker run we had some valve train issues which really ruined my day pulled the motor and saw it was burning quite a bit of oil! So with that we decided to pull both motors and get them completely gone threw( new rings new pistons, new dart aluminum heads ect..) My problem is that now I'm to the point where i feel i need a less expensive boat that i can afford if it breaks. what do yall think would be a reasonable price range for a 99lip ship gun with xr's hp500's (roughly 600+hp) in excellent shape? mid 140's?

Last edited by STRAIGHTPRIORITY; 09-13-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1999 38 top gun

just sold a mint low hour 99 for 100k no trailer

sorry but thats it

w/ trailer xrs and bigger motors id say 110-120k
Old 08-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STRAIGHTPRIORITY
My problem is that now I'm to the point where i feel i need a less expensive boat that i can afford if it breaks.

Are you still going to have a twin engine boat? Unless you're going to a single engine I wouldn't sell it. A twin is a twin no matter what the logo on the side says. You would be making a big mistake buying another twin thinking it's going to be any different. It sounds like you need a new motor guy not a new boat.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Are you still going to have a twin engine boat? Unless you're going to a single engine I wouldn't sell it. A twin is a twin no matter what the logo on the side says. You would be making a big mistake buying another twin thinking it's going to be any different. It sounds like you need a new motor guy not a new boat.
Wow, Brandon, that is some excellent rational thinking!

Did you investigate why they were buring oil before doing a total rebuild? A simple head job may have resolved your issues inexpensively compared to touching the lowers.

PS: I vaguely recall your post commenting you were going to remove the blower motors and go smaller for economies. The $$$$ spent switching engines would have ran that boat for a long time.

That's OK though, we all seem to want to learn the hard way.

Last edited by expresscat39; 08-11-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys i need some advice/assistance. I have owned this boat for roughly 6 months, and built some big aluminum motors for it that we had some major issues with! (wish i had kept the original blower motors) and i ended up putting a pair of carb hp 500's in her now, and had a blast with the boat for 3 weeks or so. This past weekend in the hrpa poker run we had some valve train issues which really ruined my day pulled the motor and saw it was burning quite a bit of oil! So with that we decided to pull both motors and get them completely gone threw( new rings new pistons, new dart aluminum heads ect..) My problem is that now I'm to the point where i feel i need a less expensive boat that i can afford if it breaks. what do yall think would be a reasonable price range for a 99lip ship gun with xr's hp500's (roughly 600+hp) in excellent shape? mid 140's?
SEND ME SOME MORE PICS I CAN SELL IT FOR YOU QUICKLY.. THANKSMIKE
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered

well honestly the reason i want to do anything with the bottom end is because i want to really know what Ive got! i cant stand running around on junk! and if i do decide to sell then i can sell it with confidence, and don't have to worry about it.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

I need to take some updated pics... but ill post them as soon as i can!

I APPRECIATE THE INPUT
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

if i do decide to sell then i can sell it with confidence, and don't have to worry about it.
That is very righteous. I have a set of motors to sell. They only had 26 hours on them. Both were tore down and are being refreshed to assure everything is perfect as can be. I don't want to be on the brunt end of a thread that I sold some junk.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

If you rebuild/freshen up the hp 500s,you should have a very reliable boat(assuming the drives are ok). If you buy another pre-owned boat,you could have similar or other type of problems .Plus,you most likely will lose money on the sale of your boat. If you like the boat,I would rebuild your current motors and use the boat with confidence. I think financially it might be your best bet as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
If you rebuild/freshen up the hp 500s,you should have a very reliable boat(assuming the drives are ok). If you buy another pre-owned boat,you could have similar or other type of problems .Plus,you most likely will lose money on the sale of your boat. If you like the boat,I would rebuild your current motors and use the boat with confidence. I think financially it might be your best bet as well.

I agree with PM203. If you refresh the motors, and the drives are good its all up to you in how long they will last. Are a WOT person? If not, youll have no issues. If you buy another boat you may have the same issues with it and now youre starting all over again and besides, you bought this boat for a reason. You liked it!!

If it was that easy I could trade my wife in for a less expensive model

Quick Reply: 1999 38 top gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.