Notices

Shifters

Old 11-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shifters

the only real wear parts are the bushings #13 and #16 the slide plate.
Pull the shifters out and before dimantelling them see if you can feel any detent if not you prob lost the ball bearings and springs #21 and #22
I rebuilt mine about 2 years ago because the neutral safety switch was not being made and the shifters would wobble.

When you have them apart use a continuity checker to see if your neutral switch is ok or just replace when they ar apart since they are not expensive.

Remember to make sure when you reinstall the neutral switches are connect to the correct motors. I put male and femal plugs on them and on the port side shifter I used the male plug and on the starbord side used female plugs so if I ever removed them again it was a no brainer to plug back in I also extende the wires to make it easier to reinstall in the boat.
Take pictures as these can be assembleed in different configuration paying close attention to the way the bracket #21 is configuured. Also replace the cotter pins on the pins that hold in the shift cables.

if you have any question give me a call
815-236-5547
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do I find the Neutra Saftey switch on the diagram?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Item 26
Before you buy new one pull the old ones out and check them Just put a continuity checker on them and activate see if switch closes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered

Check out this problem. I pulled the shifters up only to find there are no neurtal saftey swithches. One of the previous ovwners must have removed them or relocated them. Can they be removed from the system? Or where else would they be?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Hey, you can always just buy the ones I just pulled out of the Gun from me!! Theyre black gafrig in pretty good shape.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have bravo drives? If so you need the switch. If you have TRS which is rare the switch is in the trans.

Marc at BAM will hook you up. Looking at the diagram you will want to buy the assembly to eliminate the headache of trying to find screws and make wires. And while you have it apart take everyones sugestion and change the bushings. To Seans point use all the mercury grease you can without making a mess it will payoff in the long term.

My $.02

Last edited by CIG3; 04-05-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIG3
Do you have bravo drives? If so you need the switch. If you have TRS which is rare the switch is in the trans.

Marc at BAM will hook you up. Looking at the diagram you will want to buy the assembly to eliminate the headache of trying to find screws and make wires. And while you have it apart take everyones sugestion and change the bushings. To Seans point use all the mercury grease you can without making a mess it will payoff in the long term.

My $.02
I thought on the Bravos, the neutral safety switch was on the motor and not in the controls...??
Old 04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Registered

Guys, I have TRS so the Neurtal Saftey switch is on the transmission. I just can't seem to locate the switch on the transmission.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It will be a screw in switch on the side of the trans. It will have two screws to connect the wires. A mercury engine wiring diagram will be handy to check the wiring is correct.