Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Old 12-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Fountain333
Don't know the Boat per se.
But it looks very straightforward. The only things that I see different are the Rear Seat "Bolsters" or inserts and that the Speedo looks to be an older style non-gps unit. With the amount of overhang that I can see in the Transom Shot I'd guess that it was one of them last out of the Old Molds Before 2001. But that's only a guess from a photo.
Seems like Jeff always has good stuff and I think that you're probabaly in good hands there.
But other than that I really don't know anything more than you.
Perhaps check in with Tank on the left coast he may be able to flesh out some details.
Good Luck,
Rob..
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice Hauler
Evenin' Folks,
The 2000 Single Step was from The Original Straight Bottom Mold with an Insert placed in it to "make" a Step.
If you look at one closely you can see that the step is rather shallow, Perpendicular, and also very sharp. Not angled forward like the subsequent Michael Peters Designed Twin Step Bottom.
As was explained to me when I purchased the boat it was more of an exercise and not necessarily something that was going into full production. Hence also the short run.
The only other thing that was Positive about the Single Step boats was the fact that they were some of the first Vacuum Bagged Boats that Cig did and consequently rather light when compared to the Previous Straight Bottom boats of the same year that were 10,000+ and my Single Step weighed in at less than 9000 with an Extended Covergirl Cabin.
The 2001 Twin Steps were the First from the Completely New Molds. Even the 2000 Twin Steps (Miami Two Step is the only one that I can think of out of the Old Mold) were still from the Original Modified Straight Bottom Molds.
Here's an easy way to tell. Look at the Hull Overlap at the Transom of any 2000 or earlier Top Gun. The difference from side to side is nearly an inch. the transom is not straight. Also there was at least one 1999 that had "Special Inserts" in the bottom in an attempt to aerate the Hull. Not really Steps just Beveled Inserts in the Strakes, But I think that it was strictly a One Off Boat. A Friend of mine owned it.
I'm anxious to see a full report on the "new" 38 GT and see what those changes do to the Boat.
Having had the privledge of owning a Straight, Single, and Twin, I really find it hard to believe that there could be something Better. But hey I was skeptical of Steps till I Owned one. So who knows.
Best,
Robert Shin
a.k.a. Rice Hauler
very old thread...but good info for potential 38TG buyers...
I seen the 1999 recently listed & was wondering how the TS evolved.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...on-o65266.html
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 Top Gun that was at the New York Boat Show that year was the first T/S from the new mold. They called It the Miami Dolphins boat cuz of the orange and aqua etc. graphics. OP had Cigarette build an 01 and an 02 (I think) straight bottom with the enclosed head at the customers request. Chris