Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!! >

Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!!

Notices

Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!!

Thanks (I think) Mike -------
You know what I mean re: the "I think" part.

To give everyone else who's reading this a hint of what "thedonz" (Mike) took us thru in Miami (and so I don't have to tell it 1000 more times), take the time to read this --- it's TRULY amazing (and accurate ---- no exageration --- I've kept the "feelings" out of it and am giving you "just the facts"... as Columbo would say!!!!

Here we go:
Thedonz had me finally understand why so many people have horror stories about "Inlets". I'll leave the "night time run" thru Miami Haulover Inlet alone, as it was "just" scary vs. dangerous (comparing to what he took us thru the next day).

After we picked up FeverFan (the next day) from Haulover ramp thedonz suggested we again run out Haulover Cut vs. taking the (hot, slow) intercoastal to Monty's for lunch (before heading to Islamorada). Knowing we made it thru Haulover the night before (in 6-7's) in complete darkness, driving only via my GPS and Mike's local knowledge, I had no worries.

What I didn't see (because I was focusing on getting the boat around the corner and on plane before we hit the "expected" 6-7'ers), was a guy who apparently took a look at Haulover Inlet and u-turned. He was giving us hand signals telling us "big...big waves ---- turn around" (quoting from Gordon and FeverFan). I do vaguely remember Gordon saying something about that, but didn't pay much attn., as the guy was in a fairly small cruiser/fishing boat.

As we rounded the corner I saw solid 8-10' swells (which beat the crap out of you, but otherwise isn't too much of a worry). So, I powered-up and got on top of them, to which I then saw, what I described to everyone in my boat as,

"Oh sh!t..... here comes a big one white-capping..... hold on".

Remember, at that point in time we were flying (appx. 30') across the 8-10's when I saw this quote-unquote, "big one" ahead.

This wave was so big (no exaggeration) that as we were heading up the face, the nose of the boat was still in the water as the transom was already appx. 3' into the up-slope of the swell..... Meaning, the whole boat was at an appx. 45 -50 degree angle heading up this monster. We had an outgoing tide and 10-15 MPH wind heading in from the Atlantic, which, as I throttled up the wave, pushed the boat to an appx. 60 degree angle as we launched from the top.

When we landed the transom of the boat went under water up to the bottom of the vinyl Cig. logo on my engine hatch ---- engine hatch.... not swim platform.

When we landed the SmartCraft shut down the engines (525 EFI's) to 1500 RPM's for a few seconds and then let me power back up and we drove out (in, what we now call "small little 8-10's").

When we were in the 8-10's and saw this swell ahead, I went right past scared and straight into "which side of the boat is going to be safer to jump from when (not if) we begin to sink".

I never would have expected to see a boat fly so straight. We were nearly vertical (in gusting wind) and the boat launched and landed perfect (I didn't even get wet --- other than the warm stream (that was self induced) running down my leg! ).

I got a comment from thedonz on how well I flew/drove the boat all weekend (as we went back and fourth from Islamorada and Ft. Lauderdale --- or Lickerdale, as they say at Shooters!), but I am 100% clear that 1) the boat held together 100% (no stress cracks, no loose parts, no broken anything)... and 2) that when Cigarette builds a boat, they build it with consideration of being caught in BIGGGGGGGGG water.

Thanks, Skip, Tim and everyone at Cigarette, for building such a great boat, and thanks Phil for such excellent rigging! I couldn't have expected more from the boat.

Any thoughts I had of stepping up into a longer boat are gone. The 38 T/S TG is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I can't imagine what was running thru the fishermen (on the jetty's) minds as they watched us fly thru this "Perfect Storm" swell. If, by some chance someone saw us (and got a photo) please e-mail/PM/call me. I'll pay BIG MONEY for the shot.

Joe
Old 08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!!

Joe, I know exactly how you feel !! I did the same act one day coming out of Everglades inlet with my Tiger 2 years ago. I was in waves 8-10 feet once I got out in it...but getting out was MUCH BIGGER AND taller waves. I decided to get back inside and had to blast thru this stuff again. No damage to the boat,but once I got to Bahia Cabana I saw oil and other fluids in the bottom of the bilge. We checked all components of the engine and couldnt find anything wrong. I went up into the storage area in front of the covergirl cabin and foud out that EVERYTHING that I had up there had been destroyed. 10 quarts of oil, drive fluid, 2 Labbed props, a starter and an alternanter that all were just about unrecognizeable...BUT.. not a stress crack or a screw loose on the boat. Thats the day I found out what Cigarettes were all about. On another occation, we we coming back to Ft Lauderdale from Islamorada when It started kicking up pretty bad. I was only one of two boats from the Poker Run that decided to run the outside back home. It started out as 3-4' footers then by the time we hit Largo it was 5-7' waves. just about the time we could see the Miami skyline the waves were at 6-8' feet (but atleast now we were in a following sea). By the time we past Miami is was a solid 8-9' with a few bigger ones thrown in from time to time. (you know exactly what I mean). At one point my brother yelled out a loud HOLY ****. I turned to him to see what the problem was and he just pointed at the speedo and pointed out that we were still maintaning between 45-60 mph thru the BIG stuff. We made it back to Shooters in a little over two hours that afternoon and did not miss the bikini contest !! and did no damage to the boat.

True story with no B/S added

Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Bob,

Again.... If I hadn't just gone thru what we went thru, I'd be hard pressed to believe 50+ MPH. But, now..... "I beeeeeelieeeeeeeve!"

Glad you didn't miss the bikini contest --- Man..... where do they grow women like that. I thought we had some good looking one's here in Texas --- but, whew, not even close!!!!

P.S. Was the goofy "light-in-the-loafers" guy sipping champagne (w/ strawberries, of course) standing/dancing on the corner of the pool that day? My "locals" friends say he's in that spot nearly every Sunday.

What Tiger do you have?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

You meen Ron. The heavy set guy sitting in the corner by the pool ?? He is always there
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Big fat cigar and a bottle of champagne ??
Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Yep ---- I'm afraid to ask why you know his name!!!

FYI - your avitar isn't working (not sure if you can see it on your end).

Post a pic of your boat.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered

Joe. I got rid of the Tiger and am now looking at a Gladiator. The Gladiator that im seriuos about is in Houston. Where in Texas are you from ??

Last edited by otis311; 08-04-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe
Yep ---- I'm afraid to ask why you know his name!!!

FYI - your avitar isn't working (not sure if you can see it on your end).

Post a pic of your boat.

LOL. I am there SEVERAL times during the winter months for the past 5 years or so. I dont have any pics of my old Tiger on this computer, but if you look in the Cig pics thread there are several of my boat. some were taken right out in front of Shooters by LS jr
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Joe, I know see you are from Houston. You probably know tyhe Gladiator that I want
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

DAAAAAYUM!!! Joe, you're f*ckin' crazy! That sh!t is nothing to mess with bro. Glad no one got injured. When we went out of govt cut with Phil there were good 6's. I thought I was seeing ships way out in the water. Phil said, no the swell out there is 14+ feet today!! Looked like freakin' walls! When did you send your gun back down to Spinnaker?

I've had similar experiences two times in the same Cigarette. It was a 93 Cafe. The first time we went out of Channel Islands harbor (California) and the swells were about 6-8's and white caps. We launched off the first swell the boat listed to the port. the hole we were dropping into was so large that the boat landing on its side! The deck lid moved! We were sure it snapped a stringer but nope, not a problem.

The other time was coming out of Ventura Harbor (Ca. again) small craft warning 6-10s BREAKING! 30mph winds. we left the harbor got into these swells and it was the first time I was scared in a boat. We all put on life vests and were seriously thinking of how we were going to get out of the boat when it listed. The waves were stacked together so deep we couldn't even turn around. Finally a break between the sets came and we turned the boat quickly and were able to head back.

Bottom line. There's only two types of performance boats I'd be in in that type of water. Cigarette is one.

Quick Reply: Haulover Inlet --- IT'S AMAZING WE LIVED!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.