Notices

Kevlar TGs

Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Kevlar TGs

Originally Posted by jmackin
I no longer have the 97 pictured above, now have a 2000. As far as the tabs, they didnt seem to slow you down as much as wider shorter ones but it didnt seem to bring nose down as much either???
Are you now selling your 2000?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This Old School Kevlar TG looks interesting...any info on it?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11955.html
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
This Old School Kevlar TG looks interesting...any info on it?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11955.html
Maybe not the history, but about all the same stuff, with a lot better interior and a lot better price!!!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10740.html

John
Old 09-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by seahawk
Before I owned my 2000 TG (nonstep 650+hp) I would read threads about porpoising problems with them and it would make me wonder what they are talking about! These boats have got to be better than that! Well they are. They just need a lot of power to see the full potential or the reason why they are such a HOT boat. The boat needs to go 75-80+mph to see this. Now this does mean you have to go 80mph all the time it just means you have had gone 80mph to understand why the boat works the way it does. Now when I drive mine I usually cruise about 55-65mph which is perfect. The part about the boat that appears to be the problem to a lot Owner is the porpoising. The porpoising is because the boat is going to slow this is fixed with tab (until you are going about 55mph) and tab slows you down. If you have a TG that only go 65 you will never see the best part of what the TG is all about. Yes it will still be fun but it's like driving a plane down the runway and trying to take off at half speed. It probably won't work correctly!! When you here stories about porpoising and running a lot of tab and hard to handle it is because the boat wants to go fast. Get use to tab and enjoy!!
I agree and disagree with not being able to see full potential if you only have a 65 mph t/g. My t/g runs about 70-72 but I have never had a problem with porpousing, you just have to know how to run your drives and tabs. I cruise about 45-50 in all kinds of rough and smooth water and my boat runs flat as flat can get. Now dont get me wrong these boats are way bad ass at 80 to 90, but can be just as great at slow speeds.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I owned what was probably the nicest 2000 Topgun built. It was a half-cabin vacuum bagged Lip-Ship boat specially built for Pudge and dialed in by Phil. It was very light and would do 78 mph all day long with 500 efi,s. I loved the boat except for the porpoising problem. Yes, you could tab it or trim it to correct it, but that would definetly slow you down.Once tabbed, the boat would ride phenominal! If the water had a little chop to it and you were above 60 ish, the porpoising would diminish. In the end, after experiencing how the twin steps ride, I decided to sell it. It was a great boat, but I got spoiled by the T/S ride.
Attached Thumbnails Kevlar TGs-38-topgun-pudge-lse.jpg  

Last edited by pm203; 09-07-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

does anyone know if keyed up is on offshore? (derrick key)
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypo8
I agree and disagree with not being able to see full potential if you only have a 65 mph t/g. My t/g runs about 70-72 but I have never had a problem with porpousing, you just have to know how to run your drives and tabs. I cruise about 45-50 in all kinds of rough and smooth water and my boat runs flat as flat can get. Now dont get me wrong these boats are way bad ass at 80 to 90, but can be just as great at slow speeds.
My whole point exactly. The boat will not porpoise if adjusted correctly. It sounds like you know how to work the tab/trim. I saw your boat in the classifieds it's very clean wait til you put the blowers on those 500 you will be fllllllllying

Last edited by seahawk; 09-06-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by seahawk
My whole point exactly. The boat will not porpoise if adjusted correctly. It sounds like you know how to work the tab/trim. I saw your boat in the classifieds it's very clean wait til you put the blowers on those 500 you will be fllllllllying
Even better would be merc 850's with #6's but well thats a ways off im afraid.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has a real sweet spot at 55 with the drives at 2 and the tabs at 5 which = about 3/4 click down from level. The faster the better the ride.

45 is about a 4 setting on the tabs and 2 on the drives at 2. What noticed is I can have the boat with the drives at 2 and the tabs all the way up and no porpoise but if some wakes get it started it will do it until I trim in or give it some tabs to stop it.

The strait bottom boats are not a set and forget boat like some, you have to work the drives and tabs depending on the speed. My Pantera was the same way you had to work the drive and tabs depending on speed.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Mine has a real sweet spot at 55 with the drives at 2 and the tabs at 5 which = about 3/4 click down from level. The faster the better the ride.

45 is about a 4 setting on the tabs and 2 on the drives at 2. What noticed is I can have the boat with the drives at 2 and the tabs all the way up and no porpoise but if some wakes get it started it will do it until I trim in or give it some tabs to stop it.

The strait bottom boats are not a set and forget boat like some, you have to work the drives and tabs depending on the speed. My Pantera was the same way you had to work the drive and tabs depending on speed.
You are absolutely right, they are not set and forget type of boats. If you work the trim and tabs, you can usually get them to settle down.

Quick Reply: Kevlar TGs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.