Top Guns w/3A's?? >

Top Guns w/3A's??

Notices

Top Guns w/3A's??

Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Guns w/3A's??

I am thinking I would like an older Gun. I love the straight hull big power tigers, but they are still too expensive. I have seen some early 90's guns with reasonable power and 3A's. Is this a good combo? I don't know anything about the 3A's, powerhandling, prop selection, and pros and cons. Thanks for the help.

Corey
Old 10-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: Top Guns w/3A's??

Our 95 gun is a 3A boat linked to 525 SC's. Runs mid 70's.

The 3A's are the same prop shaft size as the #6's (large prop shafts). The SSM3's were smaller shafts. The 3a's are BEEFY with twin verticle shafts instead of one like a bravo. I'm not a pro at all the info on speedmaster drives but from what I can tell the 3A's were the race drives of their time until the SSMVI. 3A's are awesome drives! However, if you do manage to break one, which I'm told is almost as hard to do as breaking a #6, the repair costs are as much as a #6. This means very expensive. For example. The prop shafts are 3k each to replace!

They stopped making the 3's a while ago but the 3A's were just stopped being produced last year. As a matter of fact they were still listed on Mercs site as a new buyable drive last I looked. There will be parts around for them for many years to come.

The straight top guns were built to be rigged with transmissions. They ride better with them. Not knocking anyones boat but I would personally have a hard time running a Bravo'd straight bottom Gun. The Gun's are just too heavy for that drive. Aslo you'll find a lot of early 90's guns W/TRS's. TRS resale is a biotch. Great drive for it's time but they have not made them in a LOOOOOONG time. Last new TRS'd gun was in 91/92 I believe.

Here's some pics of our boat. With of course the obligatory air shot!!
Attached Thumbnails Top Guns w/3A's??-big-air.jpg   Top Guns w/3A's??-img_2367.jpg  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Not knocking anyones boat but I would personally have a hard time running a Bravo'd straight bottom Gun. The Gun's are just too heavy for that drive. Aslo you'll find a lot of early 90's guns W/TRS's. TRS resale is a biotch. Great drive for it's time but they have not made them in a LOOOOOONG time. Last new TRS'd gun was in 91/92 I believe.

Here's some pics of our boat. With of course the obligatory air shot!!
I'm looking at a 1991 Gun with Bravo's thanks for more ammo in getting them to come down a little more on their price.

my other ammo was this:
Attached Thumbnails Top Guns w/3A's??-mvc-016f-02.jpg  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
I'm looking at a 1991 Gun with Bravo's thanks for more ammo in getting them to come down a little more on their price.

my other ammo was this:
That is not a Top Gun.........If you want to run a T/G hard, as in, Offshore,Big Power..you need 3as, Vs, IVs or Konrads
Old 10-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Zudnic, Birdog is right. That is a pic of a Cafe (Cafe's are awesome boats by the way!). Just a warning, the black is a pain to re-do/update to white. You have to tear apart the whole cockpit.

I ran a buddies Cafe more times than I can remember. 500efi's and bravos. Blew a couple of drives over the years. I guess it's just how you run 'em. My point in "ME" not feeling comfy running a Gun with bravos is the first pic I posted

Bravo's on a Cafe wont be too bad. I don't think they'll knock the price down because of that. People actually WANT bravos on 90's guns/Cafes. The alternative most of the time are TRS's. There just wasn't many Guns/Cafes made with 3a's 5's or 6's.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by birdog
That is not a Top Gun.........If you want to run a T/G hard, as in, Offshore,Big Power..you need 3as, Vs, IVs or Konrads
That was the only pic that came from the email, others all red "X". I'm leaving too look at tonight.....
Old 10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Fiberglass Top Guns w/a heavy drive (TRS or Speedmasters) take a lot of power to move. There was a '94 on here with 650hp and 3A's and it ran low 70's. Hell, a buddy's old '96 Gun (fiberglass & full cabin) with 675SC's and XR's on Boxes couldn't break 80mph.

Last year of TRS Gun was '94

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 10-06-2006 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Bobby I do realize that the old boats take lots of power, and truthfully that is fine by me. Eventually I would like to be at or around 900hp with a reliable drive. It sounds like the 3A may be a great option for what I am looking for.

I see that TRICK's Tiger has 3A's, but unfortunately too much dough for me. I have found a couple early 90's guns with 3A's that seem like a decent boat.

Corey

BTW anyone want an 01 Donzi 38 Daytona??
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestar382
Thanks guys. Bobby I do realize that the old boats take lots of power, and truthfully that is fine by me. Eventually I would like to be at or around 900hp with a reliable drive. It sounds like the 3A may be a great option for what I am looking for.

I see that TRICK's Tiger has 3A's, but unfortunately too much dough for me. I have found a couple early 90's guns with 3A's that seem like a decent boat.

Corey

BTW anyone want an 01 Donzi 38 Daytona??
3A should be fine for 800-900hp. There is a '92 on Boat Trader which is in the OSO classifieds too but on Boat Trader it's $109k.

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 10-06-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic

my other ammo was this:
if your looking for a sweet cafe that already has been redone to white with new guages and custom paint pm stecz, his is up for sale but not advertised yet...a VERY sweet cafe. low hours on upgraded power and kept very nice.

Quick Reply: Top Guns w/3A's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.