Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go? >

Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?

Notices

Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?

I was boating out of Channel Islands Harbor (Ventura, CA area) last week in a friend's Baja 29. I thought I might purchase a Baja 30, and that the 29 would give me a good idea of what to expect. The water was 3.5 to 4.5 feet according to NOAA, but the statistics are misleading, because the water was very choppy. The ride was shall we say "bone jarring". The boat handled it fine, but the passengers took a real beating. After that, I started thinking I might be better off with something a little bigger for Ventura County water. A used Cigarette Top Gun came to mind.

Anyone take their Top Gun out of Channel Islands Harbor from time to time who would be willing to show me how it does in these conditions? A quick 10 minute loop outside the breakwater would be all it would take.

Michael
Old 07-11-2007, 05:47 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
....I started thinking I might be better off with something a little bigger for Ventura County water. A used Cigarette Top Gun came to mind...
Your mind is right!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Michael, you do need something bigger for the water out here. Al's boat is really nice but there's no compensation to size in these waters!

you know I'll take you out anytime for a run. Sorry we didn't get a chance last weekend. I have to get a small leak (seal) in my starboard drive fixed and then we'll go run in some rough water.

You should REALLY look at 'YWAIT's Cig. It's for sale in the classifieds out of Phoenix. Carolina racing engines and SSM 3a's (which you'll need in the big water out here). You get a gun with bravos you'll be replacing drives regularly.

I know we talked about Roberts boat (grimmy) and it would've been a really good boat for you but I do believe he sold it.

I'll let you know when we get the cig wet again.

Tank
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Well, maybe Roberts boat isn't sold....This one is nice too and the guy actually boats & lives out of Channel Islands harbor. He's a good friend and the boat is absolutely immaculate!!

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16480-en.html

Roberts is very nice too and evidently still for sale at a great price....

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...-o6742-en.html

Here's Ywaits....Great set up!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=157651

basically, if you're looking for mid 90's guns there's many nice ones to choose from out there!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are thinking correctly.
I have ridden / driven LOTS of boats, some that have a reputation to "handle big water" - I have found that it is mostly hype. A Cigarette - there is no hype - they are the best I have ever ridden / driven.
When someone say's "there is nothing like a Cigarette" believe it.
Hope you find one that suits you.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Tank, thank you for the tips, and for the offer for a rough water ride! Some good 'ol Ventura water should help me make up my mind.

Michael
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael1;2193749 The ride was shall we say "bone jarring". The boat handled it fine, but the passengers took a real beating. [/QUOTE]

Bone jarring? I didn't notice, I was having way too much fun! You just gotta hold on tighter! Nothing like catching some serious air at 50+ mph! Actually, Tank gave me a couple pointers on set up (more tab, less trim) and the boat settled down quite a bit. I could get more speed without the boat flying off the tops of the waves so much. I don't know if that was as much fun though!

Like I said, a Gun is the way to go out there (Cafe Racer would be good too). Let me know if you want to check out Robert's boat. I can take a look at it for you as he's here in town.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?-162-6287_img.jpg   Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?-162-6292_img.jpg  
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Here's another one that might be good:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=163153
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although there are often days in which rougher offshore seas make it impossible to enjoy my 232 in the channel, it's still an exciting ride if the winds are reasonable and the swells are under 5' and well spaced.

Although it's certainly a blast to run a "big rig" at 60-70mph offshore,
it's equally exciting and quite challenging to push a 23' hull to 55-60mph in those same waters.

It's all in your perspective .......

PS .... Your welcome to take a ride on my mini rocket anytime.
Remember, when your my age, sit down bolsters are preferred!

Last edited by StillHaulin@63; 07-12-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@63
Although there are often days in which rougher offshore seas make it impossible to enjoy my 232 in the channel, it's still an exciting ride if the winds are reasonable and the swells are under 5' and well spaced.

Although it's certainly a blast to run a "big rig" at 60-70mph offshore, it's equally exciting and quite challenging to push a 23' hull to 55-60mph in those same waters.

It's all in your perspective .......
This is true. Heck, I used to run my 20 Outlaw out there! Now, when I run my 29 on Lake Mead I am bored to death. It's like driving a Caddy across a giant parking lot!

I guess the big difference is safety and distance. I know my boat very well and felt completely at ease out there but if it really kicked up, bigger would be better. Then there is going the distance. We started out heading to Anacapa and Tank took off ahead of me. I tried to keep up but the water was too big to get good speed. I wanted to run to Santa Barbara but it would have taken forever. And you always worry about headed back later in the afternoon. The bigger boat lets you go faster, cover more water and eases the weather factor a bit.

Quick Reply: Anyone in So. Cal. Want to Convince Me a Top Gun is the Way to Go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.