Bullet prop question

Notices

Bullet prop question

Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullet prop question

Since there has been a recent flurry of Bullet threads, I thought I'd throw one out. On the long list of things to do on my boat, one of the items are looking at some different props sometime this year. The current ones are not in the best shape (dinged, not by me)

Boat info is:
1988 Bullet with NO transom notch
Bravos with 27P 3 blade Mirages
454's with B&M 250 chargers (single carb)
Mechanics guessing have told me engines are around 550hp (not dynoed)
Runs about 6 lbs boost at WOT
WOT is about 5000 rpms with these props

Performance:
props blow out at anything over about 1/2 throttle getting on plane (not really a problem)
Hard turns can blow out props if trimmed up any
Boat wants to porpoise slightly at speeds above 65mph
Top speed is only about 71 on GPS (with 1/2 fuel and 3 guys)which seems too low. I was expecting at least 5mph more and was hoping to see 80.

Am I overly optimistic with what I expect speed to be? Should I go to a 4 blade? Thanks to anyone with advice.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a 4B propeller should hook up better for you....as long as your prop shafts are not to deep. I think with an 88' you should be OK. If your motors are mags thne you should be running a higher RPM at WOT. If no-mags then you should try some 28P Bravo I props (assuming your 27P Mirage Plus props are stock).

Julie
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Steve_H

WAYNOFZR,

i spoke to Kevin from Midwest Powerboats who has owned and re-done several bullets. Some good advice he gave me was you have to trim the crap out of bullets to find the sweet spot and he was right. wot i trim mine to 7-8. try it if you havent already. makes a big difference in performance.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My indicators are not hooked up at the dash (one more thing to do), so trimming is by feel until I get that fixed. When trimmed high, I gain RPM's, but not much speed. I've trimmed high enough to start about a 3' - 4' high rooster, but it still porpoises.

Steve, what engines and prop combos are you running?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WAYNOFZR
My indicators are not hooked up at the dash (one more thing to do), so trimming is by feel until I get that fixed.
Definitely need to get your indicators operational. Because as you said, the sweet spot may not be the "highest" trim angle. So, once you hit the sweet spot, how will you find it again if your indiactors don't work.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Steve_H

same props as you. old style 27p mirage. 7-8 gives me the same size rooster as you describe. ~ 520 hp 540's. are you running in smooth water? its always at least a 1-2' chop at loto so i dont know if mine would porpose a lot in smooth water or not.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I don't seem to notice the porpoising as much if there is a chop and I don't have any in 2-3' rollers. You really notice it on smooth water. What is your top speed with the old Mirages?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Steve_H

they really like rough water. mid 70's.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

I have an 88 Bullet without the notch, 500HP (dynoed) 509's, running labbed (Bblades) 25" MiragePlus, 4900 RPM WOT. Best on GPS was 69MPH, 1/2" Tank fuel. As others have said, they take alot of trim.

Don
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I guess I'm hoping for too much to see 80 with my current power. I can live with mid 70's.The only prop recommendation I saw above was a 4 blade 28P Bravo I or maybe a 26 and spin higher. Does anyone have any other prop suggestions? Has anyone done nosecone mods to Bullet or older Cafe with Bravos and had good results?

I do plan to go into the engines (in a year or 2) to actually find out all the specs and will probably take them to 496ci when they're freshened and still use blowers, but I have a long list to do before then, probably in the following order:
Hook-up/repair Tab and Drive Indicators
Cockpit Upolstery
External Steering
Update dash
Then work on engines
Finally, new paint

All in my 5 year plan

Quick Reply: Bullet prop question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.