Which one????

Notices

Which one????

Old 08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTCHUCKV
I am thinking maybe I can find a boat with TRS drives and like you said run until failure and then do a swap out with Konrads. I have 4 months to search and research everything I can about what it is I am going to want/need in a boat. I guess right now it is the size that I have to pick. I have been looking at a few TG's but the ones in my price range all have TRS's. Keep the advice coming guys. It has been a tremendous help with all things considered when buying a really expensive toy!!
Couple quick comments, sorry if I am mentioning stuff you already know but just thought I'd save you some research time - TRS drives actually have a seperate transmission that sits between the front of the transom and the back of the engine. This does indeed move the center of gravity forward in the boat but also increases the weight by a fair amount on both sides of the boat. In general, my understanding, is that the TRS drives are probably able to handle more power than the Bravo's since the transmission is not in the drive, like the Bravo's are. I would guesstimate that you add 200 pounds to the boats overall weight. Supposedly TRS components are getting scarce but you sure seem to see a LOT of boats with those drives which leads you to believe there are plenty of parts available. You would not be able to "easily" switch over the TRS drives to Bravo, as this would necessitate re-mounting the engine, and drilling new holes in the transom as the X dimension is different on the boats. The Konrads, at 15k each side, are the only realistic replacement for the TRS drives. They are a relatively new drive but have seen very few failures from what I have read on the board.

I went with a Bravo boat - 30k buys a LOT of used Bravos and or rebuilds.

Last edited by seafordguy; 08-31-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: One more thought
Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys......this is going to be a long and exhausting process
Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

You said you want 75mph boat, it will be easier to come by on a bravo boat(less weight and no tranny) A friend of mine had a bullet and it was a great boat, it does everything really good and will surprise most in rough water. I have a Cafe and have always loved them. The one thing I will give advise on is try to buy a boat that has already been gone through. If you buy an older TG or any boat that is all original it will nickel dime you to death. I redid everything mechanical in my boat including transom assemblies and you could not believe how things get after 10-15 years in water. Find something that someone has $100k+ into and buy it for$75K. I would not concentrate on length check out the TG, Bullets and Cafe's and find one that has been loved and will enjoy it more than having a boat you are working on. By the way you are making a great purchase with a Cig and yes they do ride better mot boats on the water!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Registered

Thanks Frank....The saga continues.....
Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

too bad ls's old tg isn't for sale.
That is a great lightweight 38.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

If I could find a TG in the 85k-90k range I might be able to swing it. The problem is finding one that I like and that I won't have to sink a
sh!tload of money into for that price.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Have you contacted "GRIMMY" on the boards? Robert is his name, he's got a nice early 90's Gun with newer power that runs in the mid 70's for around what you want to pay. It's a really nice ride. I THINK it's still for sale.

Roberts # 702-683-7656

Also, call Kurt (Biggus) 715-410-0735 for info on Konrads. Everything I"ve heard about them is that they are worth the money. The drives hook up to the TRS gimble ring so that will save you money off the bat. I believe you're looking at 10k a side with out the rings to swap to Konrads.

And I agree with most. If your price range is 75k, you're most likely looking at a TRS boat. But the TRS's most likely (if properly cared for) will last you a long time and you wont have to worry about it.

Also, I don't know if it's been broght up, but you can get an AWESOME Cafe Racer (35') for around 75k. Cafe's are great boats, virtually same cockpit/cabin layout as Top Guns and run awesome. Most Cafe's you'll find will have Bravos on them.

I wouldn't be so keen to buy a Bravo Gun or Cafe though. Cigs are Bravo eating machines!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered

Thanks Tank. I think the best bet would be to buy one with TRS's and if/when they fail do the swap to Konrads. I know people say the Bravos are faster but I am looking for reliabilty more so than speed.
Yes I do want to go fast but I also don't want to change a drive every few months. I also think your call on a Cafe over a Gun would be the best choice for now.
I do plan to upgrade to a bigger boat in a couple of years so I might as well get a really nice Cafe or Bullet and wait on the Gun until I can get what I really want.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Any cig would be a good choice. I love my bullet. It has 540's, huber trans, and trs. I haven't had any problems. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Which one????-img_0108.jpg  
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Hey Mark what kind of speeds are you getting with that setup?
Thanks,
Chuck

Originally Posted by wickd.1
Any cig would be a good choice. I love my bullet. It has 540's, huber trans, and trs. I haven't had any problems. Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.