650 Hp in Cafe

Notices

650 Hp in Cafe

Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perform330
Does a boat go faster in salt water or fresh?
Faster in Salt Water!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perform330
Does a boat go faster in salt water or fresh?
SALT! Salt water is more dense and therefore provides more buoyancy. More buoyancy = more speed. When we used to race tunnel boats it was almost like running on concrete. Granted, air is providing way more buoyancy than the water in a tunnel boat environment but it was still faster in salt.

On the 525 vs. 500HP issue, I was also told by a Merc rep that the new 525s were comparable in power to the old 575sci. From boats I've ridden in they are noticeably stronger than 500s.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not doubting how much horsepower the 525s put out. Its well known how strong they are. Just saying I throught they were RATED at 525 hp at the crank, not the prop. Doesn't matter though, I can't afford anything with blue motors right now anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
I'm not doubting how much horsepower the 525s put out. Its well known how strong they are. Just saying I throught they were RATED at 525 hp at the crank, not the prop. Doesn't matter though, I can't afford anything with blue motors right now anyway.
My understanding is the 525s are rated at the prop. When the standard changed from crank to prop rating I don't know. That's how Yamaha got over on everyone in the 80's when they were first introduced. I had a Hydrostream with a 115 Yamaha that would run with quite a few 150s.

When I was having my Top Gun motors freshened in September, my buddy had a pair of low-hour 525 take-outs sitting on the shop floor. For the measly sum of $24K (and my motors) I could have left there with them! Decided it was better (read: cheaper) to freshen the old 500s! Maybe a couple Whipples next year!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Croozin2
My understanding is the 525s are rated at the prop. When the standard changed from crank to prop rating I don't know. That's how Yamaha got over on everyone in the 80's when they were first introduced. I had a Hydrostream with a 115 Yamaha that would run with quite a few 150s.

When I was having my Top Gun motors freshened in September, my buddy had a pair of low-hour 525 take-outs sitting on the shop floor. For the measly sum of $24K (and my motors) I could have left there with them! Decided it was better (read: cheaper) to freshen the old 500s! Maybe a couple Whipples next year!
OOPS
Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

Nah, no oops. Can't drop $24 large at the present time. Getting a new business started and need the extra coin badly. Or was the oops about the Whipple comment?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Nah, no oops. Can't drop $24 large at the present time. Getting a new business started and need the extra coin badly. Or was the oops about the Whipple comment?
No, it just sounded like you were regrettingg not picking up the 525's

Good luck with the biz. I know what you mean about the coin.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Wasn't necessarily regretting it as much as pissed off that I couldn't pull the trigger when I needed to. Typical situation for me is a deal comes along and I'm not quite in a position to act on it. Oh well, if the biz does what it should, this won't be a problem in the next year or so, hence the Whipple statement. Or, could just start working on the wife about picking up a 39 Unlimited!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread JeffC. Hope you get all of your engine woes worked out. Look forward to seeing you again in Destin next year. In fact, if you want to make the tow over here for the Tickfaw 200 in May, let me know and we'll get you some help with logistics.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wasn't necessarily regretting it as much as pissed off that I couldn't pull the trigger when I needed to. Typical situation for me is a deal comes along and I'm not quite in a position to act on it. Oh well, if the biz does what it should, this won't be a problem in the next year or so, hence the Whipple statement. Or, could just start working on the wife about picking up a 39 Unlimited!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread JeffC. Hope you get all of your engine woes worked out. Look forward to seeing you again in Destin next year. In fact, if you want to make the tow over here for the Tickfaw 200 in May, let me know and we'll get you some help with logistics.

Ahh the ole TF200. Is it time to start making plans for that again all ready. What a blast that was.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the 525 Hp is prop rated whats the rating if mated to a six drive like sum of the race boats

Quick Reply: 650 Hp in Cafe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.