28ss

Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Single or Twins

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
It will work.

It will be fairly slow and it will wander at low speeds (off-plane) and be a nightmare to dock. I've never seen a Pantera on a scale but it's hard to imagine anything with a heavier layup than a Cig.
Gotta agree with Chis. I am rerigging a 28 Cigarette SS as we speak. I originally thought of a single blown 572 and a #6 but was concerned about torque steer at high speed as well as meandering at low speeds. Probably the deciding factor is the fact that 28 SS's have a huge, tall, center stringer. We were concerned that hacking up the center stringer would negatively impact the structural integrity of the boat. So we are going with supercharged smallblocks and Platinum XR Bravos.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank all of you guy's for the input, it was exactly what i was looking for. I am going look at the boat on friday, is there any paticular areas i should look at. Does any rotting show up in one area more than others? Any other things or areas i should really keep an eye out for? Thanks again in advance!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They rot in all the usual places- at the outdrive cutouts, the limber holes thru stringers and places where woodscrews were put thru glass into wood without sealant.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Registered

Do they stress in any certain areas? Cracks in the hull? Any problems with stringer rot? What about fuel tanks?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you hit one hard enough, you can break it. They're very tough so it's unusual at best. The stringers can rot- sometimes by wicking moisture from a rotten transom, sometimes through limber holes and sometimes through water getting into screw holes that are low and see standing water. You can thump them to see if they're solid but that won't tell you if they're wet. A moisture meter is always your best bet.

Look at where the stringers are glassed to the bottom and where the hull & deck are bonded. Sometimes this can be tough to see- pull every panel & access cover- take your time. The 35 I just bought had a couple of minor tab separations on bulkheads- nothing major and an easy fix. A loose stringer can be an entirely different story. Pull the floor and look good at that fuel tank- and smell too. If it's leaking, the foam will hold the gasoline smell forever. Not a nightmare replacement job but not a cake walk either.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot, you guy's are the best. Keep the input coming, if ya'll can think of anything else!!! I thought that O C Barry might have a few pointers that he came across while rerigging his 28.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Gotta agree with Chis. I am rerigging a 28 Cigarette SS as we speak. I originally thought of a single blown 572 and a #6 but was concerned about torque steer at high speed as well as meandering at low speeds. Probably the deciding factor is the fact that 28 SS's have a huge, tall, center stringer. We were concerned that hacking up the center stringer would negatively impact the structural integrity of the boat. So we are going with supercharged smallblocks and Platinum XR Bravos.

Barry
OC do you have any pics of your project in process? I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade my membership. I've got pro-charged small blocks in mine, and the boat handles and runs great. Incredible acceleration. I couldn't imagine having a single in an SS.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

A 28 SS with Twin BBC is not a problem, we ran a 27' Magnum with twin BBC's, too heavy? Why? It handled the water great and ran in the mid 80s mph for the 19 years of ownership.

Most of our Sunday (other pleasure boaters, not organized races) afternoon races were in the Ocean off of Atlantic City and Margate (in the late 80's and early 90's). In the late 90's and up to 2004 most of the boating was in the upper Chesapeake (with mixed boat waves for cruisers), so we ran 84-86 mph in some rough water on occassion. The BBC's are heavier, but to say the boat doesn't handle the weight is bull****.

With that said a hot set of SBC, would be the optimum set-up. We ran BBC because my father had a set of LS-6 motors available, but small block strokers are the way to go.

Last edited by Smarty; 12-13-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Pics

Originally Posted by NickOTeen
OC do you have any pics of your project in process? I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade my membership. I've got pro-charged small blocks in mine, and the boat handles and runs great. Incredible acceleration. I couldn't imagine having a single in an SS.
If it ever stops freezing raining here, I'll be able to set the engine mounts / drive heights and I'll get some pictures. Right now we are working on all of the shop items; short blocks are assembled, windsheild removed, new aluminum race fairing is built, new engine hatch with Pro Stock Scoops is done.

In fact if someone needs one, I have an aluminum blower style hatch for a 28 that I am not using that I will let go CHEAP.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

J,
Take a look at the Magnum forum. The 28 Cigarette has the same bottom as the 27 Magnum. Several Magnums have been converted from twin to single. Raceboats such as "Deranged" and "Vixen" are good examples. I just picked up a 27 Magnum hull and am converting it from twin to single. One disadvantage no one has mentioned is how hard it is to work on a twin engine boat. A single allows plenty of room to do basic maitenance like changing oil or plugs. Most old 28 Cigarettes had twin 350 CID with 280 horsepower. A single reliable engine of 500 Horsepower will be approximately the same speed as twin 300's-70+/- mph. The cost factor of two drives and engines vs. one was also a consideration for me.
Twins have the advantage of a "get home motor" if one breaks-but thats why I have Tow insurance. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: 28ss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.