Notices

28ss

Old 12-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28ss

Has anyone ever converted a 28ss to a single engine config? If so, with what success? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Why would you do that?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not an SS, but a 28 Open. It's for sale too....
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19129-en.html

Another:
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16656-en.html
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

The older and some new 28 pantera's came with twin motors but you see more newer ones with singles that run great. I am looking at a 28ss and was wondering if anyone did it to one of these. Seems like doing this while putting a efi big block would make a great boat. Just a thought!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best setup for a 28 is twin small blocks. The big blocks add too much weight. A single would have to be a monster on a #6 drive- that's not a flyweight boat. Then you'd be dealing with all those single-prop issues- no thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The best setup for a 28 is twin small blocks. The big blocks add too much weight. A single would have to be a monster on a #6 drive- that's not a flyweight boat. Then you'd be dealing with all those single-prop issues- no thanks.
Ditto - the 28 was made for twin small blocks.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Registered

Yes, this boat is set up with twin small blocks. It was just a thought, pantera's are actually about 900 lbs heavier than the cig. Why would it not work? The pantera's use XZ drives and they hold up pretty well.

Last edited by JLAY; 12-09-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAY
Yes, this boat is set up with twin small blocks. It was just a thought, pantera's are actually about 900 lbs heavier than the cig. Why would it not work? The pantera's use XZ drives and they hold up pretty well.
It will work.

It will be fairly slow and it will wander at low speeds (off-plane) and be a nightmare to dock. I've never seen a Pantera on a scale but it's hard to imagine anything with a heavier layup than a Cig.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It will work.

It will be fairly slow and it will wander at low speeds (off-plane) and be a nightmare to dock. I've never seen a Pantera on a scale but it's hard to imagine anything with a heavier layup than a Cig.
I think it all depends on how it is rigged and what your expectations are of the boat. With a 500HP, mine ran a best of 65.1 in the salt, flew level and I could dock it into some of the tightest slips possible. With a 7 inch X dimension no less. There are pros and cons to every set-up, but no matter what it's all going to come down to how it is rigged in my opinion. And I did have it on a scale, so we are talking about a 7,200-ish lb boat.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Single or Twins

It will work.

Gotta agree with Chis. I am rerigging a 28 Cigarette SS as we speak. I originally thought of a single blown 572 and a #6 but was concerned about torque steer and meandering at low speeds. Probably the deciding factor is the fact that 28 SS's have a huge, tall, center stringer. We were concerned that hacking up the center striger would negatively impact the structural integrity of the boat. So we are going with supercharged smallblocks and Platinum XR Bravos.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Quick Reply: 28ss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.