Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
38ft Top Gun, where are its structural weakness's, if any? >

38ft Top Gun, where are its structural weakness's, if any?

Notices

38ft Top Gun, where are its structural weakness's, if any?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You're right- they don't usually break. If you see one broken, it was run HARD. At least once anyway.

On any offshore, the most common places you'll find damage are at the stringers in the middle third and the bulkheads in that same area.
On that topic...Have you actually ever seen a Top Gun with broken stringers or bulk head? Just wondering. I've seen a LOT of Top Guns come and go on the market and heard many stories about boats being run hard but have yet to hear or see one that was actually broken. In theory, anything is possible. I just wondered if theres actually one that comes to mind that has an interesting story behind it.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by underpressure
I believe that was a carbon gun and almost all of them were redone.

I can tell you mine likes to bow the stainless rubrail and pop out the screws by the fairing when you play in the rough

Carl
Ditto on two of my buddies guns. but the one is getting redone now and the stringers were fine . Kinda startled me at first when it did it on me during the Chicago poker run last year , thought that i really hurt his hull .
Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
On that topic...Have you actually ever seen a Top Gun with broken stringers or bulk head? Just wondering. I've seen a LOT of Top Guns come and go on the market and heard many stories about boats being run hard but have yet to hear or see one that was actually broken. In theory, anything is possible. I just wondered if theres actually one that comes to mind that has an interesting story behind it.
There was just one in the classifieds with massive damage to the hull/stringer junction that actually broke through.

I've seen 4 or 5 instances of tabbing on bulkheads, two instances where hull/deck tabbing had separated (one was mine) and a few minor stringer pops (again, one mine). The boat took a VERY hard hit/landing and the damage was minor. I thought I'd broken the boat in half- the hit probably would have done major damage to anything else. I've never seen one where the stringer fractured or the bulkhead broke or came loose. I've seen less spider-webbing on Cigs than any other brand that comes to mind.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
There was just one in the classifieds with massive damage to the hull/stringer junction that actually broke through.
that boat hit something submerged in the water.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

top guns have no weakness silly boy.. only problem we have to deal with is all the outerlimits boys, it seems all their wives and girl friends want to get to know us better...
Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The biggest weakness in a Cig are the breakable humans in it...