20 Cigarette on 'The Highlander'

Notices

20 Cigarette on 'The Highlander'

Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Brownie already answered that in another thread. When he was at Cigarette they called them 19' until the Coast Guard notified the boating industry that everything under 20' would soon have to contain positive floatation. The Cigarette 19 instantly became the Cigarette 20.

As to BOATDADDY's comment that it's not Steve's boat but company property; just how many yachts do you think are registered in individual names? Liability and taxes dictate that most are corporate property or in the very least an LLC. In any case Steve gets to use it.... LOL

Barry
didnt know that cool info...You going to be at the races this year Barry?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default OC Race

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
didnt know that cool info...You going to be at the races this year Barry?
Yes, I will be at the OC race. I was hoping to have my 28 done by then but I am way behind schedule. I am actually going to Florida to fetch my 20' Cigarette and will have it for sale in OC that weekend.

If your in OC that weekend, let's try to catch up for a drink.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Ya, I got a pic.

Here ya go...
Thanks for the pics. Good looking old Cig and I am sure it is as clean or cleaner than the day it was made with they way they take care of their toys.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have an idea of how many 19's and 20's were built by model year?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Good question..............you should start a new post

Ken
Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Production numbers

Originally Posted by omerta one
I can't answer exactly as to the production numbers but here are some of the relevent facts:

> '73's were called 19' and only about four are five were known to be produced.

> Cigarette called them 19' until the Coast Guard notified the boating industry that everything under 20' would soon have to contain positive floatation. The Cigarette 19 instantly became the Cigarette 20.

> A number of 20's were/are used as yacht tenders. The 20's look great and handle like a much bigger boat, so it makes sense.

> I believe 1985 was the last 'normal production' year but I believe they made a few here an there on sort of a custom basis up to 1995 (I know Cigarettes mostly are custom), so arguably 1995 was the last year of normal production (Not dead sure on this so if you know differantly I'm open to whatever info you provide)

> Phil Lipschultz had Cigarette build four hulls last year to be rigged at Lip-Ship, they turned out awsomely and I believe were $135,000 a copy.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
A lot of that stuff was lost over the years before computers. I had the original stuff to my 1976 28 and it was all handwritten.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Registered

if i can add to the discussion on the begining of the cig 19/20
in helping Cig19 restore his we looked for all places that they hull numbers on them like the old donzi hand written on back of dash ,seat bow eye backing as production methods moved with Don as he opened new factory on thunderboat row( including taking a 14 donzi baby with him from donzi to magnum then finally to cigarette and then sold and titled the boat as a cigarette in 1975 but that's another story)
We feel that cig19's boat is one of the first if not the first one

now this is a theory and we have been trying to piece together the history on this great boat but here is what we think is the case

we know the boat has lived on our lake all it's life

the old owner bought it from Don Aronow at the New York city boat show and let everyone know it and the guys we know who worked at the marina it was kept at verified that

in the fall of 1972 the USCG HIN was made mandatory and any boat made after oct or nov of 1972 for the 1973 model year needed to have a HIN stamped in the hull on the transom cig19's boat has no such stamp and we know the transom in this boat was never touched this boat has no HIN( like my 1967 donzi) so CRT didn't happen until the HIN were mandatory so we think cig19's boat was built prior to fall of 1972

when we took apart the old bucket seats we found cig 19 written in marker on the foam this was written by bilt-rite interiors they did most if not all of the interior worke in Don's boats

the boat has a NY registration from 1972, it was purchased at the NY city boat show at that time was at the old NY coliseum and was held in Dec. not Jan like it is now at the javitz center
so the show for 1972 was actually held in dec of 1971 so we think that cig19's boat was built in the fall of 1971 to be ready for the dec boat show

the boat when new had a terrible finish the guy who prep the boat at the marina for the old owner said it was really bad like it was just thrown together and rushed
like it was put togehter quickly to be ready for a show
the boat is equipped with a volvo 270 and a chevy same has a donzi of that era the fit and finish might be off but has we found out it was built like a tank and it was put together to last and she tooked a beating at the cig 20 run in ohio and last years lake george poker run and handled it with no problem

we have tried to talk to a few people from back then to see if the recall this boat as it a hard boat to forget all black with a bright yellow interior but no one can seem to recall it

if anyone can add to this or shed some light on this it would be great we just want to know this boat's place in the history of things

we have heard there were 3 19's produced the first year??

plus the boat on the highlander has the bumped out engine hatch that happened when they went to BB power in the later 70's but that could be a retro fit as the boat might have gone to some repower work as well all know you always have to go bigger and faster especially if money is not an issue

Last edited by mattyboy; 05-03-2008 at 08:26 AM.