Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Any Cigarette racers out there?? >

Any Cigarette racers out there??

Notices

Any Cigarette racers out there??

Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Any Cigarette racers out there??

We have just 5 weeks left to the Don Aronow Memorial Race in Sunny Isles. This is an open ocean race from Sunny Isles Beach (Miami) to Bimini and back...100 miles non stop.

It would be a sad commentary that a race to honor Don Aronow is being run without any Cigarette boats in it.

Entry form and rules package can be downloaded from the HORBA website www.historicraceboats.com

Rules were written to make it easy for poker runners to make the transition for this type of racing. It may never happen again, do you want to say you missed the chance?

Even the guys with the Cigarette 20 footers can run. Min boat length is 20 feet and max is 55 feet.

By the way, the boat in the photo below with the number 2 on it, is the only time Don ever won a race driving an actual Cigarette boat.
Attached Thumbnails Any Cigarette racers out there??-aronow-large-small-.jpg   Any Cigarette racers out there??-aronowfile0013a.jpg   Any Cigarette racers out there??-book_chapter_art_005a.jpg  

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

How many boats do you have so far and what type of hardware?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
How many boats do you have so far and what type of hardware?
We are hoping for around a 30 boat count and the hardware goes from the original single engine Formula 233, that Don Aronow raced in the Miami to Key West race in 1963, to Miss Geico, the 50 foot Mystic Cat with turbines.

Plenty of room for you to uphold the honor of Donzi with your 38....just send in your entry.

One photo shows the 233 as restored today and ready to race the other photo shows Don with the...Fab Four.... Beatles on board in Miami back in 1964
Attached Thumbnails Any Cigarette racers out there??-formula-233-cigarette-002-small-.jpg   Any Cigarette racers out there??-searace-book-022-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-06-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 38 cig that raced for 6 years.....contact me to see whats up

dave
Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I would love to but I have a commitment to my club (NJPPC) for our Atlantic City Poker Run. If the dates didn't conflict I would have been there for sure.
Good Luck and be safe.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cigs used to Race, they can't handle it now
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Rob (Offshoredrilling) is bringing his 42 Tiger down to race. I would think that Cigarette would want to be involved.

TimG?? I would think that a 50'er would be perfect for the task!! But that's just me.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

A very big THANK YOU. We were losing faith in the offshore crowd for a while there, but all is well now.

We have had a great response to this race with more and more entries every day and we are vey happy to say that we feel that we have achieved our goal of producing a quality event that honors one of the sport's founders, Don Aronow.

We have also attracted the top people from the many areas of offshore.

In addition to Miss Geico and Don's original race boat called the Cigarette, we now have entered Bill Pyburn from the poker run side, Bob Teague from the active racing side and boat builders like Randy Scism from MTI, who will be bringing his latest innovation. Lavey Craft and Pantera are in. Fountain also will be represented by two race boats.

There are a number of privately entered Cigarette's and we have about 1/2 dozen historic boats racing plus more on the land for display.

We are happy to see racers from other organizations beyond OSS coming to race. The Muscle crew is on board too.

And the best news of all........Michael Aronow is coming and will be signing the checkered flags of all the winners.

We are trying to make this as easy as possible for everyone to attend. If you want to pay by credit card, that is now all set, just contact us for instructions on how it will be handled.

The average weather during that time period calls for calm water, so watch the big cats set new records for this run. Everyone who races will actually be setting new records for their class, as we have professional record people on hand.

We have special patches that will only be given to the racers, in addition to the event patch that Brownie has made up. And a special personal Thank You certificate, from Michael Aronow to those racers that participate in this race to honor his dad.

Don't miss this. It is shaping up to be the biggest event of the year. We have over 60 of the old racers coming for the weekend and you can meet them at the big party at Gulfstream on Saturday night.

Live band at the Race Village right after the race and winner's boat parade on Friday, will be playing until 10PM.

Keep those entries coming we would like to see 50 boats !!!