Feedback on racing a t/s gun >

Feedback on racing a t/s gun

Notices

Feedback on racing a t/s gun

Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on racing a t/s gun

I'm looking at a new cig. I've had mine for a year and I'm ready to get a better one (just gotta sell mine first!)

Not sure what to go for...a non step again, or a twin step?

I have never driven a twin step gun and I have read many mixed posts on them. Some of you guys swear by them, others dont. What does concern me is rolling one if I decide to race, which I probably will do.

Are non steps better for racing because they are safer? I have read 3 out of four carbon fiber cigs rolled and that scares me.

All feedback would be great on this
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a stepped boat, I own one, You have to learn how to run the boat. Educate yourself on hydrodynamics, what makes a step work for exanple and how to properly set the boat up.

The boat is not scary the operators are.

Best of luck.

Brad
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have the 4rth T/S Carbon Fiber F2 that was raced and never rolled, Tres himself raced it, like brad said, just have to educate yourself and learn the boat,

btw its for sale, 2000 F2 t/s top gun, 125k
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only people that havent rolled a twin step are those who havent raced one!! Pretty ill handling boat at race speeds. I know Tres will say that he had good luck, but lets face it.... if we all had Tres' skill then it would be a better world. For us mere mortals those boats have a very slight margin of error andthe penalty for stepping over the line is harsh. Enjoy!!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dhlaw, what is the difference in a t/s top gun and an f2 t/s top gun, other than weight due to no cabin?

or are you saying all t/s guns fall under the slight margin of error? or even any t/s boat might fall under that same thing? we never raced ours but it seems to handle every bit as good if not better than the non f2 top guns i have been on with t/s,

Last edited by Boomer35; 05-21-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
I would buy a stepped boat, I own one, You have to learn how to run the boat. Educate yourself on hydrodynamics, what makes a step work for exanple and how to properly set the boat up.

The boat is not scary the operators are.

Best of luck.

Brad
Couldn't have said it better. Everyone has to start somewhere to get to Tres', or any other winning racers level. Wrecking is the risk you assume by choosing to race no matter the boat make.

If you want to have a realistic chance to win, buy the T/S. There are guys who race nonsteps fast, but they are few these days.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford the boat, you can afford professional training on how to operate it.

I still remember all those cockpit videos of stepped-boat occupant ejections when they first hit the market. That has all but stopped. The learning curve is more of a cliff- but it doesn't have to be. It's just the techniques for running these boats is somewhat counterintuitave to ordinary boat handling.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
counterintuitave
Dammit Sunkin, you made me bust out my dictionary already this morning!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
The only people that havent rolled a twin step are those who havent raced one!! Pretty ill handling boat at race speeds. I know Tres will say that he had good luck, but lets face it.... if we all had Tres' skill then it would be a better world. For us mere mortals those boats have a very slight margin of error andthe penalty for stepping over the line is harsh. Enjoy!!
dhlaw,
You were the first person I thought of when I read the thread. Good response
Jr.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
We have the 4rth T/S Carbon Fiber F2 that was raced and never rolled, Tres himself raced it, like brad said, just have to educate yourself and learn the boat,

btw its for sale, 2000 F2 t/s top gun, 125k
Boomer, is your boat the Dmaxxx boat? i was seriously considering buying that about a year ago. But I took the cheap option of buying a cheap cig, but when you have to import it o/s it was a very stupid move as the costs amost matched the boat initial buy price.

Did you alter the engines at all in it? So are you saying that lucky strike rolled?

Quick Reply: Feedback on racing a t/s gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.